Removing countertop around the fridge in an F38

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
gamayun

Removing countertop around the fridge in an F38

Post by gamayun »

I am well on my way to demolishing the old countertops and installing Corian in my F38 (posh, huh?). I am now ready to pull off the plywood that goes around the icebox. There is an inch of hard insulation around the edges of the icebox and underneath the plywood. Does anyone have experience with this, can tell me how everything is attached, and how difficult it might be to cut the plywood out while not messing with the icebox? The potential difficulty might explain why one of the Freedoms posted on YachtWorld shows a picture of the countertop replaced around the sink, but not on the side with the icebox....I am also at this stage of remodeling because I didn't want to cut the leaky water heater out of the cabinet it was built around. I am a little concerned that they built the boat around the icebox. I am aware that the plywood goes under the sliding cabinets and into the cockpit compartment, another difficult, but plan to cut it off at the interface.

Attached is a picture of the progress thus far, which does not include the faucet, back splash and sanding work. I wish I had taken a picture of the inside of the icebox to show you what I mean.

Any help, ideas, words of encouragement would ALL be appreciated!!

Carliane
s/v Kynntana
galley countertop.pdf
(130.02 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Kynntana, Freedom 38

bad

Re: Removing countertop around the fridge in an F38

Post by bad »

Impressive project and looks like you are at the cutting edge of F38 refurbishing. I have no experience in the 38, either, but since I'm local I gladly look at it and give and opinion.

Erik

gamayun

Re: Removing countertop around the fridge in an F38

Post by gamayun »

Thanks Erik! I have someone coming back on Friday. It might get done then, but certainly would be nice to have your input. If you're around Friday morning, I'm at Treasure Island Yacht Harbor.

Four 15 eight seven one 0721.

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38