Keel spacer on F21

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
chadrider

Keel spacer on F21

Post by chadrider »

When I first bought my F21 it had a BIG blister on the side of the keel just above the lead of the keel. At the time I ground it out and filled it with a standard glass patch. The boat then was then kept on my sister's mooring and I didn't see the bottom of it. 5 years later it is sitting on the hard and the area near where the patch was put on is cracked and there are clearly hollowish areas. I believe the F21 keel does not sit directly on the hull's keel boss but rather sits on a "deadwood" spacer built of laminate that is between the lead keel and the keel boss. I think it is this spacer that is having trouble. It has vertical cracks that (I think) may be the result of water being trapped in the keel bolt holes and then frozen when the boat was stored for the winter. So my questions are:
  • Is my guess at how the keel (full draft) is built correct?
  • How is this spacer constructed?
  • What would be the most effective way to repair/replace this spacer?
  • Who in the Rhode Island area would be best for the job?
Chad Rider
401-602-7613
Chad Rider
Rumford, RI

Freedom 21 "Frisson"
1984, Deep Keel, Gunmount.

1980raven

Re: Keel spacer on F21

Post by 1980raven »

Chad, I am not familiar with F21 construction but there is a local shop; Warren River Boatworks that specializes in Freedoms. You can find them on the Web or call Paul Dennis at 401-245-6949.
Be well, Art
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

chadrider

Re: Keel spacer on F21

Post by chadrider »

Raven,
Thanks. That is the kind of info I needed. Considering the boat was built here, it makes sense that there would be someone specializing in maintaining them.

Chad
Chad Rider
Rumford, RI

Freedom 21 "Frisson"
1984, Deep Keel, Gunmount.