porttlites

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Balance

porttlites

Post by Balance »

Can anyone direct me to a sorce for the portlite gasket material on my newly acquired F36 (1988)....got 9 lites and they all leak....oh joy.
So far, all my attempts have been futile....never seen so many schruged shoulders. As we all know, there's no name, id, etc on the alli frames....could they possible have been made by Fuller Brush Co? (that's not something that just pops to mind!) Any help is greatly appreciated. Lee

jdpandlp

Re: porttlites

Post by jdpandlp »

Several sources for the round peel and stick gasket material, I used Bomar gasket material that I got from Defenders. Just get the dia. to replace what you have. Peel off the old and stick the new in place. Close the hatch or portlight to hold gasket in place and leave it for a day for the adhesive to set. Did mine several years ago without any problems since.

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Good discussion on using butyl tape here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... -tape.html

This is what I plan to use for my port lights as well as when I rebed the stanchions. I've heard independently from the Sailnet forum that butyl is great stuff for keeping the water outside of the boat. Just be sure to buy the high quality type that is recommended. IIRC, it cost about $25 for 50 feet. A little spreads out a long ways, too.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Second Butyl tape. Got mine from 'mainsail' Will be rebedding all my portlites soon
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

bad

Post by bad »

We bedded 14 new ports on our boat with butyl rubber, plus most of the deck hardware has been rebedded with it. Really nice to work with. I bought mine locally from Wilson Glass in Berkeley for about $10 a role. ANY commercial glass shop will have it or be able to order it. Though supporting Maine Sail is not a bad thing. Love his website.

Erik

Balance

Post by Balance »

Thanks to all....good info. But I see I miss spoke....meant to say the port hatches....those with hinges where the gasket material is seated in a groove in the frame and the lexan is retained in a groove in the gasket. A cross section of the gasket would be a modified "C" shape. Again, thx for any help.

Hans

Post by Hans »

Had the same problem on my old F38 ( 1989). Unable to renew the gaskets I bought new parts from Bomar (Pompanette). Not the complete hatch but only the moving part.
Simple to install and no more leaking opening hatches.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".