Advice on upgrades to Freedom 35

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
bobr

Advice on upgrades to Freedom 35

Post by bobr »

We are nearing the end of our first season on our Pedrick 35. Very happy with the boat. Of course part of the happiness is in tinkering...

I have noticed that some models later than ours (1995) have dedicated storage behind the fold up dining table. Has anyone added this to an older boat?

Also seen at least one boat online with a plexiglass door in place of the shower curtain. It may have been custom rather than factory.

Now the biggie....I probably haven't given the camberspar a fair chance, but for the coastal sailing we do roller furling has its advantages (I've read the debates in the archives so no need to rehash that discussion for my benefit). I don't need a genoa, and it looks like some boats came from the factory with a self tending working jib with the sheet leading to a short traveler just forward of the mast. No need for any additional winches or standing rigging from what I can tell. If anyone has made that conversion I would appreciate hearing your experiences.

One concern....the engine (Yanmar 3GM30F) uses a bit of oil, maybe a quart in 50-60 hours or so (no hour meter and not much wind this summer!). It performed fine in the sea trial and ever since, 3 years worth of oil analysis provided by the seller are fine, no soot on the transom, no smoke and no oil on the pad under the engine, no obvious leaks anywhere. Someone suggested it might be "blow by" which I'm not sure I understand. Suggestions, or leave almost well enough alone?

Thanks!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

bobr

Re: Advice on upgrades to Freedom 35

Post by bobr »

one more....anyone added an on deck shower at the transom?
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Bob;

The previous owner installed a hot/cold shower on the swim platform of our F38. We use it with some regularity. Handy after a swim. Happy to send photos if that would be helpful.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

bobr

Post by bobr »

Hi Ed,

I'm interested in the make and model (lots of choices) and how it is installed (before I cut a hole in my boat). Any pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Bob, I should be down there tomorrow (you are welcome to drive up from CT some time if you would like) and can send you some pictures.

Regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

It is a Whale system that the PO installed. Hope pictures help.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 8559 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 8559 times
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Bob --
Re the swim platform shower, our example may have limited relevance as we have a Hoyt F32, but we moor close your at Old Lyme Marina so you could for yourself if desired. Our boat has a retrofitted sugar scoop swim platform and a hot/cold shower mounted through the transom. Seems to have been well done. I'll try to determine the brand.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

bobr

Post by bobr »

Thanks Ed, the pics do help. Nice set up.

Circle, I know your boat. I am just across and down river in North Cove, 3rd mooring in on the starboard side as you enter. Nice looking boat you have.

I appreciate the feedback. My stern is a little crowded, trying to visualize it so the pics help.
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Meltemi

Post by Meltemi »

Bob,
My F35 (96 Pedrick) has the same shower as Ed. It works great and doesn't take up much room at all. It came with the boat when I bought her 6 seasons ago so I don't know if it was factory installed or not. I don't think it would be a big job to install. I've attached a photo of the stern of my boat (from the original Yacht World listing) to give you an idea of how it is set up. The shower is the small box on the starboard side. I hope this helps.
Mike
Attachments
F35_Stern.pdf
(182.79 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI

bobr

Post by bobr »

Thanks Mike, that is a big help. Looks like that is the logical location given the proximity to the water lines leading to the shower stall. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT