folding mast steps F 40/40

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Paul Langevin

folding mast steps F 40/40

Post by Paul Langevin »

Hello all, one of the 3 folding mast steps on our F 40/40 recently broke. the step has the label "Mast Walker Balto MD" cast into the step. The aluminum "ears on the step portion have broken off (likely due to corrosion) and I would like to replace the step with an exact replacement so that I do not have to retap the mast. The current steps have three machine screws that are tapped into the mast. I have tried to find the replacement here in the US but with no success. Lots of knockoffs but from what I have read the mounting screws are not exactly the same pattern. I have found the "Mast Walker" brand steps in the UK but when I contact the firms distributing them they tell me that the mounting screws may not line up. Anyone have a recent experience replacing their folding mast steps. With the bottom step broken furling the main or attaching the halyard becomes a pain in the neck.
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

Craig

Re: folding mast steps F 40/40

Post by Craig »

The answer to this and most Freedom questions is Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks in RI. He replaced one of mine two years ago.

Paul Langevin

Post by Paul Langevin »

Craig, thanks for the advice. I sometimes I feel like I rely too much on Paul Dennis. I am sure that he's a busy guy and always so accommodating. Thanks for your suggestion. Paul

Craig

Post by Craig »

Paul is great and he recognizes that he is the source for advice, upkeep, improvement and supplies for Freedom Yachts. He is refinishing our main salon right now and making some improvements in the cabinetry in the galley and head. I am fortunate to be moored only half a mile from his shop.
Some items are exclusive to our boats or just kind of difficult to find "just the right piece." He seems to have an almost endless supply of these things that would otherwise be difficult to find.
You might consider getting all of them since they have all been exposed to the same corrosive elements and the other ones will probably fail sooner rather than later.

Paul Langevin

Post by Paul Langevin »

Craig, we are now out of the water and I will follow up with Paul Dennis. I would be looking to replace three if I can find them. Thanks for you help. Paul