Cockpit Enclosure for Freedom 38

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
philipl

Cockpit Enclosure for Freedom 38

Post by philipl »

I am thinking of putting a full enclosure or part enclosure ( no back) on the cockpit of my Freedom 38. Currently has a separate bimini and dodger. Has anyone done this? Would love to see some photos or ideas on this. Photo of our boat is attached.
Attachments
Trinity 3.JPG
Trinity 3.JPG (120.22 KiB) Viewed 9037 times
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

CaptLen

Re: Cockpit Enclosure for Freedom 38

Post by CaptLen »

I did it on my F36. Only used full enclosure twice in 10 years, but frequently used connector from dodger to bimini and a few times used "doors" between side curtains and dodger/bimini connector. If you do this don't neglect the aft closure- or you'll regret it the first time you're running during a heavy rain. I'm sorry I don't have any photos but any canvas maker can figure out where to put zippers and fasteners to coaming or rail. Also, Zipper Lube works well to keep zippers working smoothly.

philipl

Post by philipl »

Thank you for your comments. Doesn't sound like you used the full enclosure too often! Would love to see some photos if you ever take any during the season. in the meantime I re-canvassed the existing canvas and will look to do the side and back enclosures next winter.
Philip
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Not a Freedom 38, but UK-built F33 CK. These pictures give some idea of the space you can get with a full enclosure. This one has two hoops, which can be separated and stowed, and zips onto the sprayhood (?dodger in USA). It's held around the side decks with elastic loops hooking over buttons, and each side panel, and the stern panel, can be unzipped and rolled up. It adds an enormous amount of weatherproof shelter in wind and rain, takes about ten minutes to rig and fifteen to stow.
interior, looking aft, with matching winch covers
interior, looking aft, with matching winch covers
tent2.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
tent3.jpg
tent3.jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
With matching sailcovers; sailmaker's dream!
With matching sailcovers; sailmaker's dream!
tent.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

philipl

Post by philipl »

Thanks for the great photos, Gerald. I guess you need an enclosure in those climes.
It looks warm and comfy inside. I reckon a wee dram wouldn't go astray on a wet evening on board.
Philip
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Philip- I did not mention that the connector from the bimini to the dodger should have a window in it! Very important! I also had windows in the sides and aft portion somif underway I had good visibility. Sadly, I never got photos of it and the insurance company has it now. Mast was damaged by lightning. I'm about to close on a 38 cat sloop (I hope) in a week and a half.
As I said, even though I didn't use the full enclosure much I did use parts of it quite frequently.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Castaway, I think I've said this before, great looking boat.

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Our 32 has a full enclosure. Nice to know we could use it if the situation called for it, but we actually have only used the connector and the side curtains of the dodger. (Okay, we're pretty much fair weather sailors.). I would note a few less obvious considerations: storage space, the work to break out and install the pieces, and then to put them away, the plethora of snaps and fasteners scattered around the cockpit that often seem in the way of washing, wiping and buffing.
Dale
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Dale, it would be great to see some photos of your enclosure, I'm.getting some bimini dodger work done later this year. I live in the cockpit, hiding from sun I'd critical, but after the last two days stuck inside due to ridiculously heavy rain ,being able to enclose the cockpit seems very attractive. I get where your coming from with storage, I'm also getting some inside work done to improve storage for things like covers. If I got rid of the 9 gerry cans I'm carrying! I'd have plenty.
Cheers Dale Freeform.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Dale of Freeform,

Thanks for your kind comments; she looks even better now that we have repainted the decks & coachroof, adding TekDek panels in the cockpit and Treadmaster on the side decks. I'll be posting more stuff soon with the saga of the centreboard refit.

Good sailing!

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland