Freedom 21 Cabin Wall

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Olive's Rose

Freedom 21 Cabin Wall

Post by Olive's Rose »

-Does anyone know if the wall that divides the V-berth from the cabin is a load bearing part of the cabin top. I have a picture of a Freedom 21 where that wall is removed. There looks to be a rubber seal between the cabin top and the wood wall, so I'm thinking it is not load bearing. Seems like it would open up the cabin if that wall where replaced with a curtain that could be pulled into place when needed.

- Does anyone know how the deck and hull are connected. Not that I would ever want to divide them, it would just be nice to know. I don't see any joint at all.

- Seems like these boats would benefit from a rub rail.
- What do most of you with 21's use for a bilge pump. My boat is without pump, wiring, or battery.

Kraken

Re: Freedom 21 Cabin Wall

Post by Kraken »

I am guessing the bulkhead is not load bearing due to no heavy attach points. Many boats of this size do not have this bulkhead and without balsa core with no issues. One solution would be to cut it away (like a large oval) almost to the cabin sides and 3 or so inches above the sink/stove areas. If worried, you can put a post next to the stove and sink from the floor to ceiling. It sure would add to an open feeling below and better light forward.

Looking at my Freedom 21 that took a hit on the port side - the hull/deck are connected with an overlapping seam to form the rub rail area, then epoxied together. In the damaged area I can see a fine crack between the hull and deck parts from underneath the rub rail on the edge. Pretty heavy lay-up in the joint.

Yes - if my boat had a metal rub rail, I would not have damage. The damage happened with a previous owner so not sure what caused it. Epoxying the damage this week. I thought about using oak (a little old style with new) as a rub rail, but must keep it coated. Stuff out of West Marine can get pricey. Automotive rubber side trim as rail?

Mine has a Atwood pump with float. Size it with enough head pressure to overcome the 20 inches or so rise to the outlet in the cockpit soul.

Olive's Rose

Post by Olive's Rose »

Thanks for your answer. I hate to take out the cabin divider wall, but the cabin is so tight it's coming out in the spring. How did you route the discharge hose to the cockpit area?

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

On mine the bilge pump exits out into the cockpit through the starboard locker. It works out well and you don't have to make any holes in the hull
20160915_075352.jpg
20160915_075352.jpg (100.76 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
20160915_075401.jpg
20160915_075401.jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 6004 times

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Interesting. Mine dumps on the port side with the same fitting about mid way and about 6" up from the cockpit floor. The hose is routed under the port, then out before the rear bulkhead to the cockpit.

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

That is interesting... my port locker is flat across the bottom level with the cockpit floor and is where the 6 gallon gas tank lives. So it's sealed to the interior, whereas the starboard one is open to the interior (you might be able to see that it's just the hull that the hose is laying on. There is a wooden panel that divides the starboard side inside from outside, so that's where the hose goes through. Is your's similar?

Olive's Rose

Post by Olive's Rose »

Thank you for the replies. All will be helpful.