Hollow keel leak

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
mstmartin

Hollow keel leak

Post by mstmartin »

Hi All,
Just bought Freedom21 and looking for advice. I hope it's ok to send out a few questions as I am newer to sailing. Boat had water under floor board in bilge. Previous owner says it a deck leak. As I was bailing it out it just kept going and I saw the keel to be hollow about 1-2 feet down. 2 separate compartments. I haven't seen a hollow keel before, is this normal? Also any ideas on finding the leak? Has anyone filled this space in with balast or filler and maybe glassed over? Thanks in advance!

hxschiller

Re: Hollow keel leak

Post by hxschiller »

You failed to state the type of boat, I assume it's one of the second generation of Freedoms. These have sumps/hollow keels because they don't need that much ballast, but need sufficient draft to make them go to windward. The leak is probably around the keel bolts that are at the bottom of the hollow keel. Since the sump is the lowest part of the hull, the water might be accumulating from other leaks such as mast boot, or water being blown into masthead openings. Yes, all the Mull-designed hulls, and the Freedom 25 and 21 have hollow keels, and so do many other keels.

mstmartin

Re: Hollow keel leak

Post by mstmartin »

Hxschiller - Been laid up for awhile so just seeing your answer now and wanted to say thanks! Found source of leaks in deck and have repaired. Now realize that hollow keel is handy. Thanks again!