adventures in plywood

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
lewharve

adventures in plywood

Post by lewharve »

We got our boat cheap because it needed work.
One of the project is building the port side interior . our plan was to have two benches and a cabinet.
We built the cabinet following the contour of the boat. Now we want to build the be nch and have it match the starboard. The plywood on the bench is bent at a 90 degree on a 16 inch dia. I thought that we could cut kirks on the cherry plywood. But people said no. they say when the boat was built the plywood was built or laid up with the curve
One guy says to use flexible plywood with a veneer. We got some and we will try to bend it tomorrow
If anyone has a better way to do it. Let me know

jdpandlp

Re: adventures in plywood

Post by jdpandlp »

Making a smooth radius for what I am assuming is the front vertical for the bench is not difficult but it is tedious. First the form needs to be built. Then multiple layers glued up over the form. The last bench I built with this method I alternated 1/64 and 1/32 layers glued up with West to get a 1/2 thickness. The finish veneer was then applied after it had cured. Like I said, tedious, but the finished product will come smooth to the eye and touch and be very strong.

Pete

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

what is the cost and how much time. I don't have much time as I have to get the lazy jacks, every one I talked to including professionals in the commercial wood shop says lay my own. Still with the amount of money we have I think we wait to lay up our benches. I think I will try some flexible plywood and then cut kirts even if we see the lines it will have to do until we find a place to work and dock for a while.
right now I want to go and I have the Lazy jacks to figure out.
thanks I will post when I am ready to start the layups

andygc

Post by andygc »

Cutting saw kerfs in the back of sheet material like plywood is a well-established technique for bending it. The closer the kerfs are to each other, the smoother the curve and the smaller the radius you can achieve. The kerfs must be all the same depth (not quite reaching the face veneer), equally spaced and exactly parallel. There's plenty of stuff on the internet - try searching for "bending plywood with kerf cuts".

The curve needs to be round a rigid frame - I don't know if you are describing a rolled edge on your bench, or a curve in a vertical panel - but either way you need shaped frames to control and support the curve. Once the curved sheet is glued into place on the frame you can fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy to increase stiffness.

You could have a practice run with cheap plywood rather than your cherry-faced ply.

Of course laminating is a better method, but laminating is time-consuming and an easy way to get into a mess if you haven't been shown how to do it.
Sold for health reasons :(

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

I am making the curve slowly it flexible plywood I'll let you know

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

flexable plywood after 4 days of creeping.
flexable plywood after 4 days of creeping.
DSCN1526.JPG (127.35 KiB) Viewed 8243 times
I plan to build a structure of the corner and back the flexible ply wood with 1/2 plywood. we will see
Attachments
DSCN1519.JPG
DSCN1519.JPG (127.67 KiB) Viewed 8243 times

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

it is coming along
Attachments
how I did this
how I did this
DSCN1530.JPG (128.56 KiB) Viewed 8213 times
it takes shape
it takes shape
DSCN1529.JPG (128.42 KiB) Viewed 8213 times

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

it is raining right so no veneer the foam is on order but this is it. it sort of looks factory but not spectacular for all the work
Attachments
DSCN1548.JPG
DSCN1548.JPG (126.96 KiB) Viewed 8193 times
DSCN1547.JPG
DSCN1547.JPG (127.81 KiB) Viewed 8193 times

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Looking good! Surely better than it would look if it was me doing it!
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

Flexible ply wood