Deck gel-coat crazing

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Camino

Deck gel-coat crazing

Post by Camino »

Hi all - I'm new to the forum - F35 Pedrick - deck has crazing. Most isn't bad to me but some crazing lines run from the port and strbd port lights by the mast right up - those seem more structural - any thoughts fro you all on that type of crazing - and the fix?

Thanks!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

gamayun

Re: Deck gel-coat crazing

Post by gamayun »

Welcome, Camino!!

How deep are the cracks? I was able to fix some small crazing around deck fittings with WM's Gelcoat Repair Kit. It has dyes that help you match the color of your deck. Mine is light gray (which I assume is the original color) and it turned out great. See if that works, but you might want to find out what's causing the crazing and see if you can't fix that first.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gulfcoastsailor

Post by gulfcoastsailor »

First question I would ask, is there any moisture under the crazing? If not it is cosmetic, imho. In which case I would clean and wax it regularly. If there is a moisture content that concerns you, then you will want to seal it. But first, consider coring below the crazing to eliminate most of the moisture field. Crazing, I have been told, happens when there is too much gel-coat applied to a certain area during construction. A down-side of the "more is better" school of thought I guess. ;)
Chip

"Encore"
Freedom 32
1985 #72

Camino

Post by Camino »

My crazing is 40% or more of the smooth - glossy- deck surfaces. Non-skid is mostly all great. Repair will start in a month - _ grind out the cracks, fill with fiberglass, gel coat , etc. a big job. Boat should look like new after and should not see the crazing. Crazing could be from any number of chemical causes - literally bunches. I did have moisture in just two small area - one area is on coach roof top at dodgers forward end - there is a tabbed top piece with 4-5 bolts. One bolt head is indented down bending the fiberglass there - probably the whole piece has plywood in between and not balsa coring. The other wet area is a small area by port side coaming

Hull is in great shape - bottom looks fantastic.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Deck gel-coat repair is completed :) All the non-skid was done too - yes in THAT color :) - smooth looks great. Instruments all work fine - i70S shown (3-in-1), Ray 70 VHF remote shown with mic clip. Still need to re-install dodger, and am now installing mack pack and mack mainsail -..
Attachments
IMG_2794.jpg
IMG_2794.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

one more of the Mack Pack and New Main -- dodger to be added still :) Updated today - dodger added - pic shows frame and canvas on with no snaps yet - today I drilled all the snaps - project completed except calibrating instruments. - almost 6 months :(
Attachments
IMG_2810.jpg
IMG_2810.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
IMG_2809.jpg
IMG_2809.jpg (10.14 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA