F30 cabin top line organizers

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
mike cunningham

F30 cabin top line organizers

Post by mike cunningham »

I ran out of sheaves on the stbd line organizer as I added the spinnaker halyard and Cunningham controlled from the cockpit. I bought a Schaefer double decker six sheave organizer from Vela Sailing Supply (cheapest I could find it). The footprint is identical to the original single deck three sheave (it is the big boat model), which is pretty amazing given the original is thirty years old this year! I guess Schaefer adheres to the policy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

In any event, another case of no protection for the core. The three through bolts holes were drilled and some silicone sealant used to seal it all up. Have to admit, there was no wet core, but any work on those bolts would have broken the seal and started the process of core wetting. I also noted the original installers tightened the nuts so much they distorted the inner laminate as they crushed the core. Pulled it all apart and installed a ring of epoxy around each bolt penetration. I have the headliner out and count about twenty or thirty through bolts overall. Maybe by the time I am 90 they will all be fixed.

If anyone is in the market for a Schaefer three sheave line organizer in excellent condition, I have a used one available a 1/3 the cost of new.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment