Working

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Camino

Working

Post by Camino »

I brought Good Way II back to Emeryville late Friday - when I passed the Brothers the wind began piping up a bit - quite typical - to 24-26kts with bumpy seas- next couple of hours were similar as usual- I noticed the Freedom 35 (p) working in the bumps-- as in the lifelines between the stantions would loosen downwards at the bumps a good 2-3 inches and then spring back, possibly suggesting the boat's hull was working (flexing) - that and I felt I was on a catamaran with some heavy pounding - have you noticed these things? Just wondering if that much working could have contributed to the deck spider cracks in the first place - or maybe I shouldn't mention that. Info is good! Best regards. Love the boat- single line reefing is good so far.

gamayun

Re: Working

Post by gamayun »

Hmm, never noticed this on my F38 and I'm sailing the same bay/offshore waters. Are you sure it wasn't some optical illusion? There can be some hard pounding when the waves are right on the bow.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Re: Working

Post by Camino »

Ha, could be for sure. This weekend (Friday or Saturday) I plan on marking my main halyard for reefs 1 and 2 and taking her to aquatic cove park and seeing how she performs. Could have been me being dog tired :). Incidentally, our boats have remarkably similar numbers on sailbaotdata.com

Update - hmm my jury is still out on the effectiveness of the single line reefing (really two lines per reefing point, leech/luff). Went out Friday in 13-17 kts, took me 30 min raising the mainsail due to the first and second leech reef lines getting "caught" somewhere internally in the boom- had to crank hard and slow using the electric winch. Hoping to not overload that circuit. On each leech reef line there was an audible pop sound in the boom end and then the line(s) could be led out- I could reef down just fine with that system but always shaking the reef out was time consuming - I'll keep working on it - for a while :)

And... can anyone describe what the butterfly blocks are like? Are they free-floating in the boom or on a track? Thanks
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA