F35 Adding ventilation to cabinets in head

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Mark K.

F35 Adding ventilation to cabinets in head

Post by Mark K. »

While all the other cabinets in my 1994 F35 have excellent ventilation the ones in the head had almost none. The first photo shows all the vents I installed in an effort to reduce condensation and the growth of mildew. I added square vents above the toilet, on the side of the medicine cabinet and the side of the wet locker. I also removed a round stainless steel vent (that actually wasn't vented but was just used to cover up some bolt heads) and installed a rectangular vent above the pump mechanism for the head. This both covered the bolts and had enough room next to them to make a hole for ventilation. I made the holes in the cabinetry using a jig saw first making sure that any wires or plumbing on the other side would not be damaged. Chalk that one up to experience! The second photo shows the inside of the wet locker. Rather than making holes in the stall shower area cabinetry where spray from the shower could find its way into the locker I cut holes with a hole saw to allow air to circulate between the wet locker and the cabinet under the sink. It has only been two days since I finished this project so I cannot yet declare victory - but I think this will work and I like the look of the completed project.
Attachments
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG (183.92 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG (146.08 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

Camino

Re: F35 Adding ventilation to cabinets in head

Post by Camino »

Love it and good work! What are the two little parallel holes in the cabinet door above the sink? (My door is hinged on the opposite side making swing only partially open).

Mark K.

Re: F35 Adding ventilation to cabinets in head

Post by Mark K. »

Camino wrote:Love it and good work! What are the two little parallel holes in the cabinet door above the sink? (My door is hinged on the opposite side making swing only partially open).
The little screw holes are from a previous owner, there are several sets of them on this boat from things that had once been installed and removed before I bought the boat. Maybe a tooth brush holder?