Rebdding and riveting mast track

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
gamayun

Rebdding and riveting mast track

Post by gamayun »

On my recent return from Kauai, about 4 days out, the rivets started popping loose from my lower sail track. It appears that the heads are working loose, but a couple are pulling out. I am planning to drop the mast, drill out all the old rivets, rebed the mast track and re-rivet. Has anyone done this? What did you use for adhesive? Aluminum or stainless rivets? What did you use on the rivets? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

drcscruggs

Re: Rebdding and riveting mast track

Post by drcscruggs »

Is there a reason not to use stainless screws? It seems like this maybe a better ( more strong) solution. Just a thought. Best.

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Search for "Alabama Queen" in the archives and read the extensive info provided on this topic by Michael as he rebuilt her.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Lionel7

Post by Lionel7 »

I reattached the lower track on my Freedom 21 a few years ago. Talked to West Systems technician about the application. They recommended Six10. Really strong stuff. Lots of advice on the riveting in the archives. I used stainless rivets I got from Fastenal special order. You have to get the length correct based on your mast thickness. The project came out well. I think it is stronger than original.

Doug
Freedom 21 Maketea

dwight

Post by dwight »

Carbon fiber is very cathodic and will cause galvanic corrosion of every other metal, including stainless steel. Monel rivets are a better choice.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

bbarnewolt

Post by bbarnewolt »

Good write up on rivets vs. screws used on spars in the current issue of Practical Sailor. Based on my reading, I agree that monel rivets seem best and your plan seems sound.
Good luck. Let us know what you do.
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA