Deck drains blocked

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Monty

Deck drains blocked

Post by Monty »

On our Freedom 40/40, Full Monty, we have two deck drains (one port, one starboard) about 1/3 of the way along the deck from the stern. We have been able to clear them by using high pressure water in the thru hull below the water line. Flushing them from the deck doesn't seem to work at all. We've tried inserting a wire into them, but only get in a couple of inches, so there must be a 90 degree bend. Any suggestions on how to clear these and keep them clear? I'm tired of having standing water on the decks, and then getting mold. As well, the wasps seem to really enjoy fresh rainwater on our decks.
s/v Full Monty (Freedom 40/40)

Salacia

Re: Deck drains blocked

Post by Salacia »

Freedom installed 90 degree elbows to the thru deck fitting and at the drains just above the water line.. You can change those to straight fittings in most cases. If you dig thru the closets and lockers you can find where the drain come thru the deck. Follow the hose to the outflow drain. Use marine fittings, not garden hose connections bought at the hardware store. You may have to relead hoses to do this. And in some cases it is just impossible .
This brings up another project. The drains above the water line get sun and wear out after 20 years, the age of your boat is approaching. If you are seeing any cracking of the exterior thru hulls, plan to change them all out. Use good marelon thru hulls and lots of sealant.
Regarding your companionway, Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks in Rhode Island makes some that fold back. Also some 40/40's have storage in one of the steps.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Monty

Re: Deck drains blocked

Post by Monty »

Thanks Stephen. My husband has asked for a quote for the companionway doors. And good info on the deck drains. So far, all thru hulls are looking good. We changed out three or four when we bought the boat four years ago. Yard thought the others were still in good shape. Will go hunting for where the drain go through the deck.
s/v Full Monty (Freedom 40/40)