replacement fuel gauge

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Kommy000

replacement fuel gauge

Post by Kommy000 »

I don't think my fuel gauge that is on top of the fuel tank on Freedom 32 works.
It is showing 3/4 full no matter what even if I undo it.
I never dealt with this kind of fuel gauge. It is just held in place with 2 screws and no electronic connections. I think it is the magnetic kind?
Anybody knows the part number and where to get the replacement? Is it possible just to get that part or do I have to change the whole thing under that goes inside the fuel tank?
Attachments
IMG_20181004_131748.jpg
IMG_20181004_131748.jpg (144.79 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Fuel2.jpg
Fuel2.jpg (147.65 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Fuel1.jpg
Fuel1.jpg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

Mark K.

Re: replacement fuel gauge

Post by Mark K. »

The 2 screws you removed only takes off the lense of the gauge. You need to remove the 5 screws and remove the gauge with the float assembly underneath. Bring this to your local ships chandlery and they should be able to provide you with a replacement. This is a industry standard gauge the same thing that a hundred or more boat builders use. Very common. However the 5 screw holes are not equally spaced - one is off set slightly so you need to make sure that all of the holes line up exactly. The gauge can be adjusted. Normally you adjust the new gauge to the old one everything should line up nicely. However the new gauge should come with 2 sets of screws, fine and coarse thread. Make sure you install the correct thread of screw. Also make sure the float on the new gauge is free to travel in the tank - this normally means that the new float is aligned in the tank the same way as the old one. Read the directions on the new gauge and you should be fine.