Anchor rode attachment point

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Grimsby_Alan

Anchor rode attachment point

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Just for fun yesterday i decided to see if the PO had tied the anchor rode bitter end to the boat. Nope! Amongst other things it is twisted like you cannot believe and somewhat mouldy(soaking in mild detergent as I write this).
As I was cleaning the chain locker I was searching for a place to tie off the bitter end and cannot see one. She’s a Hoyt 32. Maybe i’m missing something. Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks in advance.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

peaceandfreedom

Re: Anchor rode attachment point

Post by peaceandfreedom »

How about around the mast?
Happy sailing
Jim D

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

FWIW,
I have a 32 also. I really don't have a lot of experience with it since I recently purchased. I really don't think the mast idea is good as it is too far from the entrance of the rode (chain and rope). I don't know but was thinking about this after you brought it up. How about a short piece of plywood that would have a figure of 8 knot to prevent it from going through the deck opening? Does that sound crazy?

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have a 40/40 and installed a cleat in the anchor locker. I don't know if that's applicable to you.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I’m hoping the mast suggestion was in humour. I received some advice from another member via PM. He suggested to look in the storage area under the v-berth. His 32 had an an attachment point there. I’m going to see when next at the marina.
If there is nothing there then I guess I’ll be adding a cleat.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

The factory setup for the F38 had the rope tied to an eye nut (similar to the one pictured) that threaded onto one of the hull-deck bolts that come through the ceiling of the chain locker. Not exactly a "hard point," but that's what they used. I don't know if this would be feasible on the Hoyt 32, as I've never seen the inside of the chain locker.
3019t180l.gif
3019t180l.gif (28.27 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

bad

Post by bad »

There was an interesting discussion about that and the info I thought was most important - for those that do all chain - is that you got to be able to cut the bitter end free in an emergency.

Our 3/4" rope rode is knotted through a structural bulkhead near the fiberglass tabbing. I would have no qualms of putting it around the mast base if convenient and the base was well secured. Which it should be anyways.

Goose13

Post by Goose13 »

I have mine tide around my mast and never had a problem with it and I've use the anchor several times, even in an emergency when my boat almost got swept under a short bridge with the old diesel not working, I just kicked the hook off and she caught and held me 10' from the bridge with a 2+ knot current.
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Thank you, Goose13.
Happy sailing
Jim D

ketch22

Post by ketch22 »

My 200 feet of chain is tied to the mast with a short piece of nylon anchor rode.

I've never had a problem and like the freedom of being able to cut the chain loose in an emergency. I also am mindful of how much chain I release so that I don't allow the rode to rub on my mast under stress. I also use a bridle that consists of two lengths of heavy nylon tied to a hook. The hook attaches to the anchor chain, the nylon is tied to anchor cleats. The bridle takes all the stress off the windlass and lowers the boat attachment point, thus increasing scope.

Ketch 22
F39 Express