Wind and cable throught mast F35

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
bottger49

Wind and cable throught mast F35

Post by bottger49 »

Hi, I'm owner of a Freedom 35 of 1993. I'm from Italy. Having to replace the old BG wind, I have problems with the passing cable throught the mast. The yard would want to dismast. I would want to mount a new Raytheon 60, but rather than to dismast in order to remove the old cable and to insert the new one I would prefer to mount a wireless like the Nexus. Opinions about that? Thanks.

peaceandfreedom

Re: Wind and cable throught mast F35

Post by peaceandfreedom »

I have the Nexus on my F25 and love it. I removed all the instrument wires from my mast.Very clean simple setup.

Jim D

bottger49

Post by bottger49 »

[quote = ""] peaceandfreedom ho il Nexus sul mio F25 e lo amo. Ho rimosso tutti i cavi del mio strumento mast.Very setup pulito semplice.

Jim D [/ quote]
Thank you for your answer. It would appeal to me to know if someone has removed the wire of the wind without to dismast.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I have an F33 (UK F35) and have had a tacktick micronet wireless for about 4 years. I've been happy with it and did this even though I had my masts down so could have run wiring. Instead I removed the old datamarine wiring as the masthead unit had died.
On my masthead I was able to drill two holes for the small bolts and could easily get at the nuts on the underside of the masthead. This is for the base. Installing or removing the masthead unit in the future you just remove 2 screws and do not need to remove the base.
If you're masthead is different and you can't use nuts and bolts then you might have to drill and tap the holes (a bit challenging in a bosun's chair a bit easier with one of the climbing harness type since they get you higher up) .

bottger49

Post by bottger49 »

AlanK wrote:I have an F33 (UK F35) and have had a tacktick micronet wireless for about 4 years. I've been happy with it and did this even though I had my masts down so could have run wiring. Instead I removed the old datamarine wiring as the masthead unit had died.
On my masthead I was able to drill two holes for the small bolts and could easily get at the nuts on the underside of the masthead. This is for the base. Installing or removing the masthead unit in the future you just remove 2 screws and do not need to remove the base.
If you're masthead is different and you can't use nuts and bolts then you might have to drill and tap the holes (a bit challenging in a bosun's chair a bit easier with one of the climbing harness type since they get you higher up) .
Thank for your prompt answer. The tacktic microned had died over 4 years?

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

My tacktick micronet masthead unit is still in use. The manufacturer did a design change a couple of years ago to make it more water resistant . I did send it back for them to upgrade the parts involved as occassionally it would stop working in heavy rain and then start again. They claimed this only affected a small percentage of units.

bottger49

Post by bottger49 »

AlanK wrote:My tacktick micronet masthead unit is still in use. The manufacturer did a design change a couple of years ago to make it more water resistant . I did send it back for them to upgrade the parts involved as occassionally it would stop working in heavy rain and then start again. They claimed this only affected a small percentage of units.
Thanks. The choice is between tacktick micronet and nexus.