Air Breeze

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
daletournier

Air Breeze

Post by daletournier »

I've had a air breeze wind generator for approx 8 mths. When I initially put it on I had a open circuit problem, positive brush slip ring contact, polished it up and has been going great up until now. I just had to polish the brush up again. Im hoping this isnt going to be a every 6 mth maintaince job? Very happy with performance and noise of the Air Breeze but a little concerned about build quality. Its a great bit of kit as long as its reliable. How is everyone else finding there Air Breeze?
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform.

Michel

Re: Air Breeze

Post by Michel »

Dale,

I've had an Air Marine (as these units were then named) on my previous boat. I have 5 yrs experience with it before I sold the boat. Never had your problem, just lots of noise and lots of current. Perhaps water ingress? Loose bearing? Heat build up?
Do you have the marine version? The land version used to be less well protected against corrosion.
Do you use the internal regulator? I had an external regulator and had the internal regulator fully opened.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Ereiss

Actually Air-X 300

Post by Ereiss »

Somewhat related question. I was given a "new" Air-X 300 which was rebuilt 8 years ago but has never been used and has been in storage since then. It has new blades included.

With this old unit will have have big noise problems? Am I wasting my time to use even a free unit?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Ed, you were given an expensive present. I know the guys in Flagstaff AZ have been working continuously on improving design and fabrication of the blades. A helicopter pilot taught me how to minimize noise: keep the blades clean, especially the leading edge and grind or sand off the leading edge till it's a smooth round which cuts the air more friendly. My generation of blades was sold out the mold just like that without any further work, just tuning their positions by drilling the mounting holes and grinding the mounting stud. Dunno how they are now, but they must be better. Perhaps you can make a temporary setup (under current load!) to see if you like it.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Ed, before investing too much time and/or $ into this unit, build a test setup to make sure that it functions properly and is quiet enough. I personally will re-anchor if I mistakenly anchor down wind of these units due to the noise.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Geoff your reply come through as I was typing mine. Ive got it back up and running as we speak, going great. The Air Breeze is alot quieter than the previous Air X, Im amazed that people can put up with the Air X, it makes talking in the cockpit of some boats Ive been on a painful experience. Ive had Rutland owners on the boat that hate the Air X's but comment on how improved the Air Breeze is.The performance and noise are quite satisfactory its the reliability that I believe is going to be a problem, dont have much faith.
Cheers dale Tournier.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

The German made replacement blades make a huge difference. These units must be putting out noise in a range that that I lost in my Air Farce days because they never bothered me, even with the "loud" blades. I do realize I'm odd man out on that deal.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage