solar panel and/or wind generator

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
GeoffSchultz

Re: solar panel and/or wind generator

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I would keep away from Lithium batteries until all of the kinks are worked out. As shown by the fire on the 787, you have to carefully control the charging of them and I suspect that existing charge controllers wouldn't handle them correctly. They are subject to thermal runaway which can lead to an uncontrolled fire which can't be easily extinguished. Given their high cost and probably the cost of replacing your charging system, I would look for other solutions.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi, theres different types of Lithium batteries. From what I gather LiFePo is a totally diferent ball game than Lithium ion or Lithium Polymer.
LiFePO4 (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a huge improvement over lead acid in weight, capacity and shelf life. The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years.
Prices have come down dramatically over recent years but are definately becoming feasible.
Cheers Dale.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

The Boeing 787 fire was Lithium Cobalt battery related not LiFePo4.
Cheers Dale.