Simrad NSS8 "Bus Off" reading

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Ereiss

Simrad NSS8 "Bus Off" reading

Post by Ereiss »

Can't figure out why my Simrad mfd can't see the n2k backbone. It is getting power, and it used to work before I out it away last fall and did a software update. The help desk hasn't been much help telling me I had to diagnose it but no clue on now to proceed. I've take the backbone apart , rearranged the parts, eliminated parts so only the connector to the mfd and the power In we're left (plus the terminators of course).

Any suggestions? Next step is to either replace all of the n2k components ($$$) or hire a Simrad repair/sales guy to diagnose it ($$$$).

It worked fine last fall. Can't figure this out.

Help
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

jdpandlp

Re: Simrad NSS8 "Bus Off" reading

Post by jdpandlp »

If it has not worked correctly since the update then I have been down this road with these people before. Updates may or may not change configuration settings of the unit. The settings may or may not have the same meaning after the update then they did before. The way I solved my problem was to get a operation manual for a unit with the software series I had updated to and treated my old unit as if it had just came out of the box. Reset to factory defaults and start with step one of the installation manual. This procedure worked for me.

The other situation with updates is that they do not always support the same list of equipment as they did before. Primarily technology and models that have aged out. This is the reason that I have become very careful with updates. It is very dis-heartening to find that in an effort to keep some equipment current you have made other equipment useless.

Best of Luck.

Ereiss

Re: Simrad NSS8 "Bus Off" reading

Post by Ereiss »

Thank you, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Really frustrating as you acknowledge. All worked before, update, stops working, my problem. Thanks Simrad.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA