help please with mast light question

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
jody

help please with mast light question

Post by jody »

this is my first post, have Freedom 32 1985
masthead light not working. I am really puzzled :=(
Have 12 v coming from panel going to all mast wire connectors ; have continuity between ground (wire from mast) to each wire coming from mast (except strobe which I think is LED)
anchor light has approx. 300k ohm resistance between ground and green wire; steaming light has 300k ohms between ground and white wire, and infinity
between green and white wire to masthead unit.
I have replaced all ends of wires with new connectors and tinned each wire. nothing is working :? is the problem at the top of the mast? but if there is continuity
shouldn't that mean the bulb is good? what am I doing wrong???
Jody-Indolence

GeoffSchultz

Re: help please with mast light question

Post by GeoffSchultz »

What kind of bulb is in the fixtures? LED or incandescent? What's the resistance as measured from the base of the mast between the ground and + wires with the bulb in the circuit? It should be the resistance of the bulb if it's incandescent. If I read your description correctly, you've got 300k ohms between the green and ground. It should be close to 0.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jody

Re: help please with mast light question

Post by jody »

the bulb type is incandescent. green wire is anchor light and white wire is steaming light. there is 0 resistance between green and white wire.
there is 300k ohm between black (ground -) wire and green and white respectively. i guess i have to go up the mast, right? but there maybe something
wrong because of the high resistance measured at green and white wire. perhaps just corrosion but still I will have to go up. i have just about resigned
myself to this task. ---unless you have another idea....... :)
Jody-Indolence