Repairing a Nicro Ventilation Fan?

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
charvatg

Repairing a Nicro Ventilation Fan?

Post by charvatg »

Not sure if this is OEM on my F28, but i have an old Nicro Ventilation fan. This is solar powered with a rechargeable 1.5V battery. Battery is good, solar cells are good, but fan motor is dead.

I've read mixed reviews about replacing these old Nicro ventilation fans with new ones, apparently some people have experienced the hole diameters to be different in the new ones.

For what it's worth, my F28 was built in 1989 and by the looks of this fan unit it could be as old as the boat.

Has anyone replaced this Nicro ventilation fan before? Or repaired one?

Thank you for any advice,
Greg

R. Bush

Re: Repairing a Nicro Ventilation Fan?

Post by R. Bush »

I replaced the two original (and long dead) Nicro fans in my F25 last spring. One is still working great although it has always made an annoying ticking sound as it turns. By the end on the season last year the other was dead. Over the winter Nicro sent me a warranty replacement for the failed unit with no hassles at all. I installed it this spring, but it only functioned for a few weeks before failing again. The fans are great when they are working, but I think the overall quality is somewhat suspect.

Does anyone know of another manufacturer of solar vents one could try.

FYI: my boat lives in a fresh water lake in a very sunny, hot and dry climate. If a solar fan can't cut it here, it can't cut it anywhere!
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

charvatg

Re: Repairing a Nicro Ventilation Fan?

Post by charvatg »

Found a number of repair procedures that are all similar to this one:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... air-3.html

So good news is we can repair these expensive things!

Think i will give this a spin.

Greg