Depth transducer length?

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
rvivian

Depth transducer length?

Post by rvivian »

It's time for spring haul-out soon and I will be getting Copper-coat installed and replacing the original (1987) speed and depth transducers with new Raymarine one compatible with my ST-60 instruments. The old transducers have a smaller diameter than the Raymarine compatible Airmar ones and the thru hull openings need to be enlarged and the the transducer thru hulls replaced.

I have the new speed transducer and its length is not critical since it comes up in front of the bulkhead under the sink in the head. But the depth transducer comes up under the floorboards in the cabin across from the head door and needs to be under the little floorboard hatch.

Does anyone know the length of the depth transducer that is beneath the forward floorboards on the starboard side of the F-30?

Thanks

rvivian
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

GeoffSchultz

Re: Depth transducer length?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

All of the manuals are on line at http://Www.raymarine.com including the installation manuals which include dimensions and drawings.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Raymarine identifies transducer PNs but does not maintain the manuals and detailed specs for them as far as I can tell

go to Airmar which is the transducer vendor for Raymarine among others - I selected a specific transducer in the link below, you will need to search for the depth you are interested in.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/pr ... =Raymarine
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks for the replies - guys. But I guess I was not clear enough in asking the question.

It is not a Raymarine or Airmar issue. I know how to get their info. The question is specific to the F-30 and the location of the transducer below the floorboards. I need to know how short the transducer and transducer thru hull need to be to go through the hull and not extend above the floor board and I'm hoping someone has replaced one in an F-30 and knows the reducer / thru hull length that works .

Mike -

Do you know the specific transducer you selected so I can look it up and find the length? Or do you know the length?

Thanks

rvivian
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Rvivian,

My xducers (depth and speed) are located in the bin under the v berth just aft of the holding tank. There are no floorboards directly above them. I can tell you that the xducers which came with the st60 + instrument I installed are about 3 to 4 inches above the through hull penetration inside the boat. I'll measure it exactly on the weekend.
Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks Mike. If you give me the measurement and the transducer number that will help.

But my existing transducer is located across from the head door under a little square 4" x 4" hatch cut in the floorboards. (I guess they did them all a bit differently.

I've wired the ST-60 depth up to the old transducer (per Mainsail instructions) and it works, but I want a new one.

I already have a thru hull transducer for the ST-60 that came with it and one of those that shoots through the hull from Airmar, but I don't think either will fit where the existing one is.

I may just need to stick with the old one, it is iffy to plan on buying one after the old one is installed and having it arrive in time to install during the 3-week haul out.

(By the way Port Townsend has a building tall enough to take the F-30 in without un-stepping the mast to keep the boat in the dry while the old bottom paint is scraped down to gel coat and the Copper-Coat is applied.)

rvivian
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA