batey amps or chatger

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
lewharve

batey amps or chatger

Post by lewharve »

we have a 1990 freedom 45 cc.
lately we have been having some problems with our charging system.
I got the boat a year and a half ago and it was striped. nothing was hooked up things were missing. it had one batter but it was not hooked up right I fixed it and bought a new battery and motored 5 days from ft Lauderdale to green cove springs. about two weeks ago I noticed the amps used going up to 60. it went back down but at some point the original battery got cooked.
when I run bot compressors the lad light and the tv it may show 5 amps but then it goes up to 60 amps. or it goes up and down. what is happening and what do I fix? the charger?
ideas will help

Hans

Re: batey amps or chatger

Post by Hans »

I don't get the picture completely. What do you mean by the amps going up to 60? Is that the amps as on the panel: amps going out of the batteries? Or going in, while charging?
When it's goes up en down while you are using, it could be a short circuit which is shorting intermittently. Dangerous while there's risk of fire.
When it's going up/down while charging there could be something wrong with the charger and or batteries. It's necessary to read the volts also when the amps are going up/down. A battery cooking is always dangerous and happens mostly when there's a short inside the battery ( result of serious undercharging mostly). In any case amps going up/down as you mention and a cooking battery is serious stuff. You have to know what you are doing while there's serious risk of fire. Either study the material ( Nigel Calder's book is a great help) or consult an electrician.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".