AP backup switch

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
mike cunningham

AP backup switch

Post by mike cunningham »

I have installed a new Raymarine Evolution autopilot driving the wheel mounted drive motor and wheel assembly which is identical to the original 4000+ drive

This has worked out great because the Evolution came with a new drive which gives me a complete backup drive.

I also decided to leave the original control head and fluxgate compass installed. Although the Evolution has a new, more accurste, heading sensor improved GUI and improved software, I felt the original AP controller would be a good backup. I have isolated the old controller from the boat's seatalk ng network but in extremis it would steer the boat for me should the prime fail.

So all is good with one exception. I need a convenient way to switch the input to the drive from one AP to the other. The AP control output to the drive consists of a two conductor cable. I am currently using spade connectors to do the swap. This works but its ugly at the dock even uglier at sea.

So I need a recommendation on a switch which would simultaneously move the two conductor drive input to one of the two AP drive outputs. 10 Amp capacity. Could one of the electrical gurus suggest a good switch choice for this application?
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

bad

Re: AP backup switch

Post by bad »

A double pole double throw (DPDT) on-on switch should work. Something like this....http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... 20a/1.html

Erik

mike cunningham

Re: AP backup switch

Post by mike cunningham »

Erik,

Excellent! Thanks. That's certainly a price I can live with. :D

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment