No Zinc wear, good or bad?

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Ereiss

No Zinc wear, good or bad?

Post by Ereiss »

After my boat was hauled yesterday I noted that the prop zinc as well as the shaft zincs looked brand new. In prior years I would go through almost two a summer. What's different this year?

1. Installed two new house batteries (pair of six volt Rolls), could have screwed something up or perhaps fixed a prior problem.
2. Installed a BlueSea battery link between the house and starter battery
3. Installed a Balmar SmartGauge

When the boat is on the mooring I do drop a large sacrificial zinc off the side and connect it to the pushpit railing. Everything has appeared to be normal during the summer.

Should I be worried by the end of zinc loss? What should I check?

Thanks

Ed
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

wcwcwc

Re: No Zinc wear, good or bad?

Post by wcwcwc »

Did the over the side zinc show signs of deterioration?
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Yes it did, Bill. But it did so last year to when I went through zincs like crazy. Is there a bonding strap to the engine that should be checked? I may have overstated the condition of the shaft zincs, they show slight wear only.

Hope you are well.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

I'm assuming that there was no pitting on the prop, shaft or other under water metals so little zinc wear is a good thing. I'd run my hand over those parts to be sure.

A change in mooring location can bring a change in zinc consumption due to underwater metals in shallow water. I'm assuming you are still on mooring.

I'm doing well thanks. Sad to see the season end. You still hauling at Bayline? Did you ever get your floorboards done?
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

yes, just got hauled on Monday. Wind was tooting but Bob is a wizard with the trailer. Did get floorboards redone last winter by a guy in Fairhaven, did a wonderful job.

No change in mooring position, only change was installing the devices I noted and new batteries. Could be by doing so I eliminated whatever was causing the higher zinc consumption that I experienced in prior years. At least that's the optimistic view I'm going with.

ed
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

Ed
Did you inadvertently use a different anode material from last time. They come in zinc, aluminum and magnesium and all have different rates of wear.
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI