Battery cable lengths?

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics

Battery cable lengths?

Postby RadioZephyr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 am

I'm about to replace the very old and apparently undersized cables that go from the electrical panel/batteries to the starter/engine block on my F36/38. I've decided to go with custom made cables offered by bestboatwire.com (or genuinedealz.com, which is the same company, but has slightly higher prices and free shipping), rather than trying to add the lugged ends myself. This means that I need to get the length pretty much exactly right.

Before I go to the trouble of pulling out one of the existing cables to measure it, I thought I might try posting here to see if someone may be able to save me the trouble. Has anyone done this before on the F36 or F38? Do you recall how long the cables need to be?

Also: The cable that goes from the engine block to the keel bolt in the upper bilge, what is that? I traced it to the same point on the engine where the battery ground cable is connected, but the end had corroded off and it's been disconnected for some time. What is it for?
Josh
F36/38, Hull #25
Boston, MA
RadioZephyr

Re: Battery cable lengths?

Postby RadioZephyr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 am

Oof, tried pulling out one of the cables yesterday (with a messenger line on it) for measurement, couldn't get it out more than a couple of feet. It seems to be secured somewhere underneath the engine, and I have no idea how to release it under there.

Has anyone done this successfully??
Josh
F36/38, Hull #25
Boston, MA
RadioZephyr

Return to Electrical and Electronics