solar panel system setup - request for advise

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
seadago

Re: solar panel system setup - request for advise

Post by seadago »

...and... absolutely many thanks to all that contributed and offered advise and experience. If the thing is a flop, it's entirely my fault! :lol: :roll:
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Looks good! Lots of luck (and sunshine)!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

folotp

Post by folotp »

Relating to the location of the controller, you typically want it as close to the batteries as possible especially if your panel voltage is high. My panels output at 48V thus the wire size required to minimize voltage drop at 48V is much lower than at 12V. So big $ savings in keeping the longer wire runs at 48V!

If you have multiple panels that will be shaded differently at different times of day, you are much better having one controller per panel as it will allow them to extract as much as they can from each of the panels. If however the panels were to be installed in a location where they are never shaded, then one controller is fine. If using multiple controllers, do make sure that all the controllers are setup with the same charging parameters as otherwise one might switch to float and basically shutdown while another one is still in absorption.

Good luck!
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

seadago

Post by seadago »

folotp wrote:Relating to the location of the controller, you typically want it as close to the batteries as possible especially if your panel voltage is high. My panels output at 48V thus the wire size required to minimize voltage drop at 48V is much lower than at 12V. So big $ savings in keeping the longer wire runs at 48V!

If you have multiple panels that will be shaded differently at different times of day, you are much better having one controller per panel as it will allow them to extract as much as they can from each of the panels. If however the panels were to be installed in a location where they are never shaded, then one controller is fine. If using multiple controllers, do make sure that all the controllers are setup with the same charging parameters as otherwise one might switch to float and basically shutdown while another one is still in absorption.

Good luck!
Thanks Pierre Andre!

Agree with you. Being connected in parallel with 12 V battery system, the voltage will not be too high. Re shading, with panels on that location, I've given up trying to model and predict the loss of efficiency. Too many variables interacting in different scenarios! Will have to manage on a daily basis. This was one of the reasons to place the controllers in an easy to see location, where I can monitor charging at a glance, without having to move cushions and open under bunk lockers. I makes the whole install inelegant and looking like an amateur job (which, strictly speaking, it is), but hey.... mine is a very practical boat! :)
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82

drcscruggs

Post by drcscruggs »

A question from someone who knows little about solar.
I know one could put flexible panels on a sunbrella bimini. Has anyone put non flexible panels up and used that as the shade for the bimini? Would that hold up as it seems that you could get a lot of panels up that way for high output. I was thinking 3x300w.

philipl

Post by philipl »

Hoping to revive this conversation chain. Any thoughts on a solar set up for an F38. Thinking of the bimini arch but it is not very strong. Flexible panels on the deck will probably be impacted by shade. Has anyone found a stronger arch that fits the F38?

I definitely want to install solar for next season, hoping for some good advice from those who have done it already.

Philip
F38
Trinity
Manchester, MA
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Philip,
Another member of Blue Water Sailing Club and I did a presentation on solar panel installations last year at Jubilee Yacht Club. I am attaching half the slides as pdf's now and will follow with the second half. Bernie designed everything from scratch. I went with a package from a dealer. I have 2 50 watt flexible panels mounted on the dodger with velcro sewn to the panels and the dodger. They are invisible to most people and have staid on during 40+ knot winds. I went with two so one was not shaded when the other is.
Blue Water is active in this area. Web site is bluewatersc.org. Two weeks ago, we had a program with Nigel Calder. Get on the mailing list or become a member for other programs.
Attachments
DIY Solar & Refrig-part1.pdf
(8.68 MiB) Downloaded 412 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Here is part 2 of the slides. May work better with commentary
Attachments
DIY Solar & Refrig-part2.pdf
(9.97 MiB) Downloaded 412 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

philipl

Post by philipl »

Thank you, Stephen. Nice presentation.

At your suggestion, I have also applied for membership to the Blue Water Sailing Club.

Philip
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

seadago

Post by seadago »

Philip, suggest you also check a thread titled "illustraded guide to solar installations on boats" on cruisersforum.com. Lost of useful practical examples and info. Worthwhile spending some time there, IMO.
Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa