What do you use as your VHF aerial? Freedom 33 Cat Sloop

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
mike cunningham

Re: What do you use as your VHF aerial? Freedom 33 Cat Sloop

Post by mike cunningham »

Yea, crazy is the correct word, especially the last 150 miles!! Look forward to comparing notes with you later this month.

I contacted the manufactures Tram and Practical Sailor published my complaint. Crickets from the manufacturer. I need to go to a different antenna. I will check out the Shakes unit. Having the antenna fall off is dangerous, esp. if you don't notice it's missing for awhile.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

Hey you two, let us be amongst I'm sure many to congratulate you on the successful voyage(s). Followed online and read quotes/quips of the journey. Thanks for flying the flag of Freedom in fine fashion.

All the best,

Bill & Carole
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Mike, when you say that you lost the antenna, what do you mean? What fell off? I fail to see how the antenna can just fall off as it's attached with a large nut.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Geoff,

It is a very poorly designed antenna IMO. What happens, and I was able to simulate this in my garage, is the circular wipping of the antenn while underway actually walks the antenna asembly off the mount.

The antenna whip is seated and welded or crimpped into a bullet shaped base. This base has a female threaded socket which screws into the male thrreaded post on the mount which is attached to the mast cap.. There are no set screws in the bullet shaped base. Although this time I applied a lot of torque and locktite, the bullet shaped base seemed to have, once again, walked itself off the threaded male stud on the mount.

I know it soulds hard to believe but I was actually able to make this happen by simulating the ships motion with my hand and seeing if I could walk the whip off the mount. I could actually do this. I though a lot of torque and some locktite would solve the problem. Apparentle not.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment