F 35 radar

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Camino

F 35 radar

Post by Camino »

A yr and 3 months into this vessel and am now adding radar decided against the usual mast mount and went with a seaview pole mount somewhere off the stern. I don’t have have an exact location yet -will know maybe this weekend if I can stand the cold over night :D Last Thursday’s and Friday things got down right chilly aboard as we were planning the install. The seaview mount looks like a great engineering piece. I like it so far. Radar is WiFi connection so I’ll see how that goes in conditions :lol: Also will fit a mock-up seat perch for the companionway This fits in the companionway slot and is my usual sitting space while underway when thing get bumpy-keeps me looking forward without getting a crook in my neck while auto steers.

RadioZephyr

Re: F 35 radar

Post by RadioZephyr »

I'm also planning on adding a wifi radar on a pole mount off my transom this winter. What radar are you using?
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

All my electronics are raymarine -radar is quantum chirp. Kind of want the pole to mount on the transom and go vertical inside my stern rail which bows out a bit there. But I’ll see tomorrow.

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

We replaced our old Furono Radar with a Raymarine quantum chirp last year. Pole mounted.
The marine electronics folks who did the install highly recommended the cable connection rather than wireless.
We’ve certainly been happy with the result.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Camino

Post by Camino »

Your marine electronic installers are correct! It is much sure-er to have a hard connection into the network. I have used RayControl WiFi for my chartplotters with iPad or iPhone for years. In a run of 8 to 12 hours the iPad will loose signal briefly once or twice in that time period - iPad is usually under the dodger with me. The time outs in WiFi have been in terms of seconds. With this install I’m doing I’ll see how WiFi radar works in my typical conditions and push it with harsher ones. I can always add the data cable later -hope I won’t have to :D Hands down its better your way!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

5 hours work today on radar install - pics show Seaview pole mount mostly assembled sans radar, with LED light installed and radar power cable and LED light wires hanging out the end; and stern mounted pole bracket - giving me less than 1/8" room for nice and vertical pole mount! Another 4 hours needed at my speed.
Attachments
IMG_3096.jpg
IMG_3096.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
IMG_3095.jpg
IMG_3095.jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
Last edited by Camino on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Here is where I mounted my radar pole.
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg (8.32 KiB) Viewed 10071 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Camino

Post by Camino »

Nice shot Stephen - I like the mount. I’d like to know how secure your pole is? Mine is still shaky as shown but hopefully with the long strut mounted to deck it will not budge! I did 2 more hours today - longer doing the install/assembly "singlehanded" :D
Below is radar installed on pole - wrong way (backwards mounted) and right way - took me awhile to figure forward and aft! Next is heat shrink on data cable and LED light wires. Notice the deck gland for the wired thru the transom in the pic. I put that on backwards setting everything up for the haul out of my salon to the deck and had to unstring the cable/wire to reverse it# that was only another 30 min. Mounting the pole was a bear by myself but all worked --some sail ties helped ease the strain and keep the pole sort of level . The pole still needs a 48" strut/brace to the deck to make it really sturdy and I ran out ofbolts ( my remaining ones weren’t not long enough). With just the two rail struts the pole can sway the push-pit railing!
Attachments
shrink wrap.jpg
shrink wrap.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
right.jpg
right.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
wrong.jpg
wrong.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
Last edited by Camino on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Camino

Post by Camino »

ok here is the pole mounted - so far....strut to add. And.. wire everything to panel. If anyone wants the life sling bracket shown to right of pic let me know -only cost is shipping to you.....second pic shows new long strut to deck - I will add another small strut from rail to deck to make sure things don't wobble.
Attachments
IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 10007 times
mounted.jpg
mounted.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 10057 times

Camino

Post by Camino »

Spent the day routing the radar power cable and LED light wires to electrical panel. I'm slow. Good news is all works. It took 4 tries to get the MFD to recognize that Radar was in the network. Had me worried about the radome connection mentioned earlier. Good news also is I can use radar via wifi and use my ipad via wifi to the e7 MFD so I think I'm ok not getting Mike's cool wifi attachment. I have to tune the radar next but now am in no hurry.
Attachments
IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 9958 times