F36 Syntron shaft seal

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
maxpbd

F36 Syntron shaft seal

Post by maxpbd »

My 1988 F36 has a Syntron shaft seal. I hauled and bottom painted to boat last week, and while out of the water greased the Syntron seal. (My Freedom owners manual states that the only maintenance the Syntron needs is occasional grease through the grease fitting on the sea.) About four hours into my motoring back to Friday Harbor I started to hear a scraping or squeaking sound like a shaft might make while turning if a bearing on the shaft wasn't adequately lubed. If I put the transmission in neutral and waited a few seconds, the squeaking stopped, but would start again as soon as I put it into gear again. Ålthough the owners manual says to grease the Syntron seal, some older posts on the Yahoo Freedom site (Fargo Rousseau being one) state that the seal SHOULD NOT be greased, that sea water lubricates the seal and that grease blocks the sea water. If that is the case, the fix is apparently to try to "de-grease" the seal with a solvent. Temporally, this explanation makes sense, as this is the first time I have ever greased the seal, and the sound showing up after four hours of motoring (although I'm not sure it is the shaft making the sound) would suggest that the seal heated up after that much use and started to squeak. Has anyone had any similar experience that might shed some light on this or know something about the "to grease or not to grease" question?

Michel

Re: F36 Syntron shaft seal

Post by Michel »

Max,

I don't know the exact design of the Syntron shaft seal, but could it be possible that the seal has to be bled after the boat has been out of the water? I had similar problems (plus heavy leakage) with the Volvo Penta maintenance free rubber lip seal after the boat was taken out. The Volvo Penta lip had to greased with a smear of silicone grease once a year. To bleed, you had to pinch the rubber bellows to make it 'burb'.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I don't know anything specific about the Syntron. I have a PSS shaft seal. Here is some information on it in case its relevant.
1. There is no grease nipple. The lubrication is seawater.
2. The system needs to be "burped" when put in the water to void air. This is done simply by pushing back on the rubber bellows until water comes in. The newer models have a fitting to which you can run a tube above the waterline and then air is automatically bled out. This is required for planing boats.

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Here's a link to the Syntron shaft seal description. Your interested in the mechanical shaft seal. Drawings are provided.

http://www.fmctechnologies.com/upload/shaftseals.pdf

Synton engineers will talk to you if you call and are pleasant
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment