engine vibration

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
RonBarr

engine vibration

Post by RonBarr »

Following an anchor line wrapping around the prop recently I have noticed extreme vibration when throttling up our Yanmar between 900 and 1500 rpm.approx - it smooths out after that but the vibrations feel like the shaft is going to fly off! Nothing seems amiss when diving although not in great visibility. Anyone had a similar experience?

Ron B
Hoyt 32

N1YDY

Re: engine vibration

Post by N1YDY »

what type of prop do you have? could a blade have been bent? if the prop folds or feathers, could it have been damaged, or might there be some debris stuck in it? could the cutlass bearing or strut been damaged? just some ideas, and good luck! i had a bit of rope get stuck in my max-prop once. it prevented one of the three blades from acheiving the correct pitch, and caused vibration. unlike your situation, however, the vibration was evident at all rpms.

Hank

Michel

Post by Michel »

RonBarr wrote:Anyone had a similar experience?

Ron B
Hoyt 32
Yes, I once drifted over a standing fishing net with the engine and prop running slowly. The straight keel of the F33 (centerboard was up) slid over steel wire on the top of the net. Propshaft was bent and the engine mounts on one side torn. You could have a slightly bent prop blade as well.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The alignment could be off caused by a failing/loose motor mount.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I'm going plus one on checking for broken mounts and bent shaft.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Add another guess for a bent prop shaft and/or propeller blade. The fact that the vibration gets better at higher speeds while moving makes me suspect the prop strut/cutlass bearing, too (a floppy cutlass will often stabilize at higher RPM.)

I hit a floating board once, stopping the engine instantly dead. It made a mess of everything. A machine shop can straighten everything back out.

Rick
Tallahassee