center board trunk CK28 or UK CK30 - 1981

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
cmaxwell
Location: freedom catketch wishbone-centerboard 1981 tollotson & pearson inc.

center board trunk CK28 or UK CK30 - 1981

Post by cmaxwell »

I'm working on my Freedom CK center board trunk. I removed the cover to the
centerboard trunk for the first time since buying Ethel in the fall. There is
what seems to be a one foot length of wood something smaller than a 4 x6 - maybe
a 3 x 5 bolted to the top (one bolt) forward end of the trunk . This upper wood
block is secured by one bolt and is directly underneath the two single lead
blocks that lead from the center board block and lead through the pipe up to the
block on top of the cabin. Looking down into the trunk there is a smaller
triangular lower wood block at the front end of the board next to the pin.

I can't figure out that these wood blocks do. They have deteriorated and are in
poor condition and I can only assume they somehow give some stability to the
board when it is all the way up. The trough along the forward edge of the
centerboard is a good 4 or 5 inches from the block when the board is all the way
up which means that the top block is too far from the board to be snug and
prevent any wagging etc. or more likely the blocks were maybe part of something
else.

If anyone can shed any light on the purpose of these wooden 4 x 6s on the
forward end of the trunk, or whether they are part of something else that has
deteriorated and has been removed, I would appreciate it. Regards Max Creighton

numbknots

Re: center board trunk CK28 or UK CK30 - 1981

Post by numbknots »

I have a f28 and have been in that trunk a cpuple times. I had nothing like that in my trunk.
Maybe the po used it to back something or even some attempt to put a preventer in the works that would keep the board down if boat turned over. Just a guess. Maybe he blocked the board while working on it last time and forgot about it until he closed up the patient.
Better aslk Michel..... Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Nothing like that in the UK built F35's, either. Any wood in there is bound to rot, unless heavily painted/epoxied, since it will always be damp, often wet, and rarely seen. I think Numbknots has it right.

regards,
Attachments
this is taken inside the casing, looking forward. The blocks are bolted to the casing and a wooden backing piece.
this is taken inside the casing, looking forward. The blocks are bolted to the casing and a wooden backing piece.
IMG00136-20090517-1302.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Michel

Post by Michel »

My casing looked exactly like Gerald's, only a lot dirtier. But I had a UK built F33/35 catketch like Gerald. Perhaps the F28s were different, but I agree with Gerald that the wood is probably a foreign object in there. If you could make some photos, together we could perhaps figure out what the purpose of these blocks is. Reading your description over again, the blocks might be stopper blocks preventing the board to hit the (rope) blocks when the board is pulled fully up or preventing the rope blocks on the top of the board to be smashed into the fixed rope blocks when hitting the sea bed with the board fully up.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

cmaxwell
Location: freedom catketch wishbone-centerboard 1981 tollotson & pearson inc.

Post by cmaxwell »

Michel wrote:My casing looked exactly like Gerald's, only a lot dirtier. But I had a UK built F33/35 catketch like Gerald. Perhaps the F28s were different, but I agree with Gerald that the wood is probably a foreign object in there. If you could make some photos, together we could perhaps figure out what the purpose of these blocks is. Reading your description over again, the blocks might be stopper blocks preventing the board to hit the (rope) blocks when the board is pulled fully up or preventing the rope blocks on the top of the board to be smashed into the fixed rope blocks when hitting the sea bed with the board fully up.

My current theory is that it was some remnant of a ground system. The bolt holding the wood was one inch stainless and off center in the trunk. Still a mystery!

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

I found similar lower blocking in my 1980 f28 ck with cb (Raven). Mine prevented the lower 18" of cb from being raised into the trunk. I removed it in order to trailer the boat to my yard. After 28 months I am nearing the end or my 1 year restoration LOL. I guess I am on schedule in boat work years.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI