Tips on how to remove an impeller

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
GeoffSchultz

Tips on how to remove an impeller

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Yesterday I struggled for hours to remove the impeller from my 40/40. I had done this once before with similar results and have gone to letting the yard do it. After my 9 hour labor bill to re-install my shaft, I decided to try it again, but I had even less success.

My 40/40 has a Yanmar 3JH2-TE in it. The water pump is on the port side and only has a few inches of clearance between it and fiberglass. To access the pump you need to remove the alternator and then the pump is 15-18" down from the top of the motor. To make matters worse, there's only about 2" between the front of the pump and the starter motor. One of the bolts to the pump is blocked by a motor mount, so pulling the pump doesn't feel like a good option. With enough contortion, you can get your hand underneath to remove the cover bolts, but you can't get much leverage when pulling on the impeller.

Of course the impeller doesn't want to budge. I had a small pair of 45 degree long nose pliers that I used to try to pry the impeller off, but that didn't do the trick. On the way home I stopped at Harbor Freight and got a MUCH larger pair of 90 degree long nose pliers and am hoping that they do the trick. I also checked on-line for pullers and found http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ler_puller, but I suspect that there isn't sufficient room between the pump and the starter motor to use it.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to get the impeller out? Also, has anyone used an anti-seize compound on the shaft to keep this from happening again?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ereiss

Re: Tips on how to remove an impeller

Post by Ereiss »

Geoff;

I recently took the Mack Boring Yanmar course and saw that for some impellers (not my 3gm) there is a tool which screws in to the center of the impeller and allows it to be pulled out. You might call them and see if it fits yours. They are in Middleboro. (508) 946-9200

Hope this helps.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

This pretty much describes my situation and Nigel Calder's solution (which involves the pair of pliers that I bought): http://sailmagazine.com/boatworks/engin ... er_puller/

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

philipl

Post by philipl »

A question for Ed. What did you think of that Mack Boring Course? Should one do the one day, two day or three day course to get any benefit? I think they are also offering an advanced diesel workshop. I have never owned a diesel before, having had a gasoline atomic for the past 20 years. I definately feel a little exposed at the moment.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I did the 3 day (One day intro and 2 day hands on). I was very well done and unless your vision is of calling the yard to fix everything and paying $90 while they guess you will come away knowing as much or more than they do (okay but alot anyway). Best $750 I spent.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

brico

Post by brico »

I just purchased a 1986 F36 with Yanmar 3GM30F with 3K hours on it. In preparation for taking it from Seattle to Vancouver I wanted to ensure all essentials are in good order so i've ordered and bought 1986 Yanmar 3GM30F raw water impeller and got one with a screw to secure onto the shaft?? Well the one on the engine does not have the screw but a shim. Guess I'll need to go back to the shop?

For easier removal of raw water impellers try using small amount of Lubriplate 130AA grease that is recommended for lubricating insides of MaxProp gear that is continuously submerged in sea water. I've used it last two times as I replace my impeller every 2 years irrespective of hours run on the engine. I like it to run when I need it.

Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Craig

Post by Craig »

The yard removed the started to do the impeller on my 40/40. They thought that was the easiest way to do it.
On the 36, just removed the pump (very easy, a few bolts will do it), turn the pump around so you can get to the 'back side' and replace the pump. Incredibly easy.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Craig wrote:The yard removed the starter to do the impeller on my 40/40. They thought that was the easiest way to do it.
On the 36, just removed the pump (very easy, a few bolts will do it), turn the pump around so you can get to the 'back side' and replace the pump. Incredibly easy.
I'm confused. My 40/40 has a Yanmar 3JH2-TBE and the starter is aft of the impeller. Removing the starter is a huge job. It's much easier to just use a set of long needle nose pliers to remove the impeller.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

Van T

Post by Van T »

I had the same setup (yanmar) and the same issues (no room) removing the impeller. End up purchasing a Jabsco impeller puller WM # 286890. This was the ONLY way I could find to remove the impeller, and still had to use mirror, flashlight and a lot of feel. The tool did the job, but still very difficut. I did not have too many kind words for the yanmar engineering group that day. This was all at the dock. I have no idea how you could ever remove and replace the impeller at sea.

best of luck

Van