Feathering vs Folding Prop

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Hans

Re: Feathering vs Folding Prop

Post by Hans »

Hi Dale,

I had contact with John about my prop problems. Turns out I have an older one with a nose cone of a material not enough waterstable.
He will send me new ones. Thanks for helping,
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Hans wrote:I had contact with John about my prop problems. Turns out I have an older one with a nose cone of a material not enough waterstable.
He will send me new ones. Thanks for helping,
Cool! I always love to see when issues like this get solved via a forum. Everyone is happy!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

The Yannmar engine transmission ratio on the F38 is the same as my F32. The Kiwi prop I fitted is 16.5" with a 22degree pitch on a 1" sae shaft. This seems to be a very good fit.

Cheers Dale
Freeform

Hans

Post by Hans »

Follow up on the new part: happy to report the new part solved the problem I had before completely. Prop functions perfect.
Predictable wheel effect and changing for- backward without any problem. Esp backward performance ( stopping distance) impressive.
Happy with the outcome.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Hans, ive had my Kiwi prop on for nearly two years and done many miles with it. My only complaint is it tends to need greasing a little more frequently than suggested. It starts to overload the engine in reverse once it gets to the point of needing to be regreased. Fortunately i have a hooker and can grease it in the water but i can see how this would be a problem for many. Overall have been very happy with the prop. Its also quite tuff as the prop hit a number of things in the Malacca straits with out any real problems, the leading edges just needed a bit of a file at times.
Cheers Dale
Freeform.