Auxilary fuel pump

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
wcwcwc

Auxilary fuel pump

Post by wcwcwc »

Has anyone installed an auxilary fuel pump to make bleeding easier?
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

wcwcwc

Re: Auxilary fuel pump

Post by wcwcwc »

PS: Where does one get one, what kind, $$?
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Van T

Post by Van T »

On a Cal 39 I owned the previous owner installed a bulb type hand pump you would find on an outboard motor.
The pump was between fuel tank and filter. It was low cost, simple and got the job done.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

That's exactly what I put in. It has worked fine for 10-12 years so far.

Rick
Tallahassee

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I'm planning on adding a priming pump too.

The fuel tank and the primary fuel filter in my F-30 are located just aft of the transmission, basically in the engine compartment.

ABYC standards require the fuel filter to pass a 2 1/2 minute heat test, hence the need to have a metal bowl instead of the plastic bowl.

Wouldn't the rubber priming bulb be a hazard? Is a rubber bulb appropriate in this application?

(I had a rubber bulb priming pump on on my previous boat with an Atomic 4 no less.)
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I'd read that and I had a metal electrical box as a cover for it for several years, for just that reason. I've been negligent about using it for quite a while now, I should dig it out and start using it again.

I don't know if my filters, fittings and fuel lines are properly rated, though. I doubt my Racor filter would pass because the water trap on the bottom is plastic.

If you go with an electric pump only run it when you actually need it and make sure it supplies fuel at VERY low pressure, just a few pounds. A friend had a mechanic install a completely inappropriate, too-high-pressure one on his Atomic 4 and had it wired to come on with the key switch. When a tiny flaw developed in his fuel system it quickly ended up filling his bilge with gasoline.

Rick
Tallahassee

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I like the idea of the "bulb in a box", may try that.

Anyone know if there any acceptable quick disconnect fittings where the bulb could be installed when needed and then stored away when not needed?

Thanks
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

gary1946

Post by gary1946 »

hi,
i had a 3qm30 on a sailboat and used a auto universal one and it worked great for 12 years dont get the new type but the ones that you can clip on anywhere
hope that helps
gary