Engine Pull - F39ph

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
OldRover

Re: Engine Pull - F39ph

Post by OldRover »

George, yes it is a rebuilt. Sold as a complete engine since small diesels find many applications (farm, industrial, marine...), but usually referred to as a basic or a long bock since all marine specific items and ancillaries need to be added. Although the rebuilder does include a new starter. My exhaust manifold/heat exchanger is in excellent shape except for one hose nipple has a little metal missing. I think I'll need to move the oil changer siphon (and oil pan). And I can give the water pump the once over. I would have preferred pulling the existing motor and rebuilding myself as a winter project, but the boat was locked in so a crane could not get access until recently. Plan 'b' was to get it running since this season (if it happens for us) will be quite short, and then rebuild this coming winter. But it looks like I need to invest a lot more time and effort to get it running. When I purchased the boat I was told by the owner that he had it running, which I really doubt. Later I found that the yard folks had to cut a whole to drain the water since the cabin was flooding while on hards. I don't think the engine was submerged and it does turn by hand. When I found that cranking with the new starter was too slow to attempt a start (or even a compression test) and the starter removal revealed a rusty slush in the bell housing, I knew a replacement was the only hope for any action this season. The fellow who did the rebuild is in WA and ruan it for over ten hours to begin ring and valve seating and confirm oil pressure at idle and 3000 rpm along with water temp stability. He also seemed rather knowledgeable about the Perkins (not just general diesel know-how). So I fel pretty confident in quality. The total cost including shipping was not much more than a full rebuild kit. So other than missing out on the fun of the rebuild, going this route is pretty much a no brainer. I saw other rebuilts for almost double the price and, of course, new is even more expensive. So I think I will be real happy in a couple of weeks when the swap is complete. I'll send an update once I know she is up and running. BTW, I too was in the process of making a compression tester adapter from an old atomizer, but since I was barely cranking, it went to the wayside.
'82 F39 ph

THATBOATGUY

Re: Engine Pull - F39ph

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I have a bunch of parts behind the shed. If you want a new whatever it is that's missing metal just let me know and I'll take a look see. Also if you could, I'd like the contact info on the guy in WA.

Thanks

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage