Dual Primary Filter

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Ereiss

Dual Primary Filter

Post by Ereiss »

Again this year I've had problems with filter's clogging. Last year I emptied the tank, wiped it down and replaced both filters. I even used that fancy funnel when adding fuel (okay, I didn't use it once, but the yard swears they turn over their fuel 2-3 times a week).

So, am thinking about a set of dual primary filters but 1) the Racor type (think 75 500) seem like huge overkill given they are rated for something like 180 gallons per hour and 2) they would cost at leat $400 or much more.

Any thoughts or ideas? If it were the right solution I would spend the money just for the harmony with the Admiral so she doesn't give me "that look" as we go through Woods Hole to see if I think we are going to lose the engine again.

Has anyone put their own dual system together out of more modest components? Should I just stop whining a spend a 1/2 boat buck?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

JimD

Re: Dual Primary Filter

Post by JimD »

ED,

I went through the same problem (for several years) ten years ago. Did all the polishing, larger filters, etc. And still had problems. What finally fixed it was to pump the low point in the fuel tank several times a year. At first it was pulling water and sludge (this was after "polishing") then just sludge and for the last several years just clean fuel. Haven't had a problem with cloged filters since. I did have dual filters installed, but haven't had to resort to them except when changing filters in the spring.

If your getting water check the "o" ring in the fuel filler cap. No water, no bugs, no clogging if the fuel is clean to start with.

I don't know about your F38, but mine has an inspection port inboard and forward on the tank. I also installed the pickup for the Espar heater through the inspection plate.

Regards,

Jim Demerest
F36/38 Lady of Remes

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Thank you, Jim.

Doesn't seem to be a water problem. The first time it happened this year I think it was the primary that clogged as when I took out the secondary the reservoir bowl was only half full, telling me that it was "stuff" clogging the primary.

I'm thinking that when I put in the fuel, not using the funnel, the pressure of the fill hose dislodged some unseen (and uncleaned) stuff within the tank.

Jim, which dual system did you put in?

Love your boat name is it from a distant relative?
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I'm looking to put two Racor 120's in parallel as I install the new fuel tank (arrived last week) on my F-30. I too would be interested in a diagram as to how best to pipe up the parallel fuel filters.

When pumping out the old leaking tank I got about a 1/4 gallon of sludge and water off the bottom. So, in addition to replacing the tank, I'm installing a new deck fill fitting and a 1-1/2" ball valve (per Calder) below decks top keep water out even if the o-ring in the fill plate fails. (Rains a lot around here all winter.)

Thanks

rvivian
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

JimD

Post by JimD »

Ed,

The system has two Racor (R15?) filters and an electric pump to fill new filters and bleed the fuel lines. Will try to get a picture next time I'm on the boat.

Without water the "bugs" can't grow and die and leave sludge. They live in the boundary layer between the diesel and the water.

The boat is named after an ancient relative, she was the only other Jacqueline, my wife's name, in the family.

Jim