Does Racor 75-500 fit?

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Ereiss

Does Racor 75-500 fit?

Post by Ereiss »

Has anyone found there was sufficient room within an F36/38 engine compartment to install a Racor dual filter system such as the 75-500?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Re: Does Racor 75-500 fit?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I can't answer that question, but I will question the need for the dual filter system. It's very nice to have, but is it really necessary? I find that simply having a vacuum gauge on top of a single Racor 500 series filter canister is completely sufficient. You just need to check it regularly and swap the filter when you see it pulling into the yellow zone (or yearly). With the 500 series you can swap out a filter in under 1 minute. No, you don't have the ability to hot-swap filters, but it's a lot smaller in both cost and size. I rarely change the filter more than once a year and I have 4000+ hours on the engine.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ereiss

Re: Does Racor 75-500 fit?

Post by Ereiss »

Geoff,

I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I do have such a vacuum gauge installed after my current Racor 120 but haven't been able to get it to function. It never shows anything. The racor folks said one way to test it is to gradually shut down the fuel supply while the engine runs and see the pressure. Tried it to no effect.

There is no sign that there are any leaks in my hook-up. Will try calling Racor/Parker again.

Thanks, as always, for the advice and help.

Ed
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA