Fried Starter

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Ereiss

Fried Starter

Post by Ereiss »

Yesterday I was ready to move the boat to its winter home. Tried to start the engine several times, then got some "blue" smoke out of the engine compartment. When I tried again all I got was a "chunk" sound when I pushed the start button. When I short out the starter solenoid I get a whiring noise.

Did I kill the starter? Any other way to test it?

If it is dead, how hard is it to replace it? Is it a simple "unbolt and put new one in"?

Hoping the yard can look at it today but they aren't always so fast about getting to things, particularly since I need to get it started to move it to another yard for winter storage. ARRRGH.

Any/all help advice would be appreciated.

Oh, its Yanmar 3gm30
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

philipl

Re: Fried Starter

Post by philipl »

Samething happened to me last year, except I was already at my winter storage location. I took the starter off the engine and had it rebuilt. It appears you might have to the same. However there is one trick you can try that might get you 'started'. The starter might be engaged and stuck in that position. If so, try tapping the side of the starter with a hammer...sometimes this disengages the starter and allows you to have another go.

On another note I have found the best way to start this diesel is to start with full trottle, then back off once the engine fires.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

The device that extends the starter motor's pinion gear into the fly wheel (usually called the "Bendex", though not many are made by Bendex any more) has gone bad. The good news is the whiring noise is the starter motor running, so it's still good. The chunk is the solenoid. It is part of the Bendex so it may be part of the problem, also I'd guess that the blue smoke may have been solenoid related, so it's health is doubtful.

On mine (a 3GMD) the starter and solenoid come off with 2 bolts and 2 electrical connections. If it's at all accessable it should be pretty easy.

Look for an "automotive electric" shop nearby (try looking for "alternator" shops too, many also do starters.) It can be repaired easily. As long as they're in there have them change the motor's brushes and brush springs.

If there's a rebuild shop nearby this should be should be a pretty cheap and easy repair.

Rick
Tallahassee

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Oh, and Philip is right: try whacking it with a hammer. Somtime the Bendex just gets stuck and that can free it up. I'd still get it rebuilt, though.

Rick
Tallahassee

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

bad news, not the starter, could have hydro-locked it. i did close the water intake when I was cranking but perhaps not soon enough or not long enough. call this an expensive lesson.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Locking the engine up with water isnt always disastrous. Open up the decompression levers and crank the engine through 2 full cycles to exhaust the water. Close decompreeion levers and then start engine. Best to change oil in case some water squeezed past rings. Important to get water out ASAP.
Cheers Freeform
Dale Tournier
Freeform F32