Yanmar 3gm30f filters

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
daletournier

Yanmar 3gm30f filters

Post by daletournier »

s2.JPG
s2.JPG (36.03 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
Hi all, have just spend 3 months cruising through Indonesia. Buying fuel in Indonesia is a experience more often than not you give a guy in some sort of canoe your jerry cans and the next day he returns with fuel. The last stop Belitong, fuel was served from a cut open 44 gallon drum on the beach via a cooking pot into your jerry cans first filtered through a T shirt. I always use a west marine filter prior to pouring into my tank never the less I finally ended up with a blocked primary filter approx 125nm from Singapore. After spending 2 hours a mile north of the equator empyting and cleaning my fuel tank then refiltering my fuel I set off again only to have it happen again at 4am in the morning with no wind. Replaced filters and continued on to Singapore. Motoring across Singapore strait was nerve racking wondering if my engine would lose power again (150 ships, check AIS photo ) fortunately all went well until just short of marina as a waterspout commenced coming down the channel and engine lost power again. Im now dumping all remaining fuel and thouroughly cleaning tank (again ) and system. My question is what does everyone else use on their Yanmar 3GM30F in regards to microns for Racor primary filter and Yanmar secondary filter? Lets assume from now on normal fuel supply, no more canoe beech fuel.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform F32
Attachments
s1.JPG
s1.JPG (48.87 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

GeoffSchultz

Re: Yanmar 3gm30f filters

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have a 3JH2-TBE and I use the same setup that you do. I use Racor 2010 - brown 2 micron filters and the 1 micron on the engine.

BTW, is that a waterspout in the background on the top 2 pictures?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Geoff, thanks for reply and sorry about accidently posting pictures twice. Theres lots of controversy about what size filters to use, alot of people are suggesting that 30micron for the primary is the way to go? The problem I have with that is I can see the secondary will plug more often and I would rather change a primary at sea. Never had fuel problems before but are now quite good at changing filters. Yes after dodging 150 ships in the Singapore strait my engine once again depowered just as a water spout developed and started heading down the channel at us. Another point of interest is, due to such heavy shipping traffic a number of cruisers had their Raymarine chartplotters shut down as the AIS targets overloaded them all this while jet fighters are screaming overhead and the VHF is as good as useless due to ridiculous amounts of traffic. Only 2 days before we were still getting coconuts from canoe paddling Indonesians you can imagine the contrast. Fortunately my AIS is a stand alone unit therefore chartplotter didnt fail which was good as after waterspout a squall came through that destroyed visibility. Tying up at raffles marina felt very good.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform F32.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'd say that you need to figure out how to polish your fuel, or drain the tank and thoroughly clean the tank. I know, easier said than done. It would be MUCH better to have the fuel filtered by a series of filters that bypass the engine.

Another alternative is to put another Racor in front of the 2 micron with a 10 micron filter in it so that you can filter it in stages. Do you know which filter is clogging? The problem with using a 30 micro filter as the 1st filter is that it will allow a lot of material to bypass it which will quickly clog the 1 micron engine filter.

I would recommend reading the following threads:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/sh ... ing&page=2
http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/FOpolishing.htm

as these people have a LOT more experience than I do on the subject.

-- Geoff

P.S. Multiple times I've had my RayMarine C80 and NorthStar chartplotters completely overrun with AIS targets and had no problems. Go through NYC sometime! I see them max out at 100 targets.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org