new windlass f32

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
daletournier

Re: new windlass f32

Post by daletournier »

One more thing in regards to weight, im not convinced when it comes to anchoring weight is everything, i know this comment is likely to cause controversy with old salts but im a firm believer that anchor design and anchoring technique are the main contributors to secure anchoring. Of course weight plays some role but it wont make up for a poor anchor design and skill. Im a believer in the new age type anchors such as Rocna, manson, sarca etc and im not just going on my own personal experience theres plenty of tests online that compare anchors. Heres some more controversy, i also connect my chain to the slot in the Manson never in the conventional hole in the shank. This has enabled me to get unhooked several times from coral. Up to date ive never dragged, Is it possible that I'll get through my cruising years and never experience a anchor drag? I doubt it, sooner or later everyone drags due to various environmental conditions its just that some people drag alot more than others and seem to think its normal and i believe most of them have CQR's. By the way i also set a drag alarm everynight regardless of conditions ( unless in a marina ). Just my opinion.
Cheers Dale.