new windlass f32

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
daletournier

new windlass f32

Post by daletournier »

Hi, well my Simpson Lawrence anchorman on my F32 has finally broken, havent pulled down yet but something has sheered. I live at anchor and the next 3months of pulling up my anchor by hand isnt creating many happy thoughts. My late windlass was probably a bit small for the cruising i do, 90m (270feet) of 8mm chain in deep water it struggled.I need to buy a new one. What do others use? Any suggestions?
Thanks Dale Tournier
Freeform F32.

bbarnewolt

Re: new windlass f32

Post by bbarnewolt »

I installed a Maxwell RC-10 with a 5/16 gypsy on my F36/38 last year in part due to the advice on this forum. Has worked very well.
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA

gringstad

Post by gringstad »

Well at least you had an anchor windlass on a 32! Most do not due to lack of room and position of of jib tack etc on bow. I'm in the process of trying to see if one can be installed on a F32 given the size of the anchor locker and position of the bow roller. This 32 also has the reenforced bow pulpit for the gunmount spinaker. I've been looking at the Lewmar pro series 700 or 1000, horizontal..... looks good but having some issues with the fit up there. I'm in the Puget Sound area so been using a 35# Delta with 50 feet of 5/16" bbb chain and 200 ft of 5/8" rode. Probably don't anchor as deep as you but still would like an AW... Can't really see a vertical winclass application due to the postion of the chain locker aft bulkhead and the "fall" available to the chain locker so have been trying to find a hrizontal unit that would work. Anyway, not a recommendation to go with Lewmar but they are good. Question is was the Simpson-L a horizontal A/W? and where was it mounted to properly address the bow roller? Appreciate any input on a mutual problem.

George

mtryon

Post by mtryon »

I too am looking at the Maxwell RC10-8 windlass for my F32. I won't consider a horizontal windlass, I've had too many chain run-aways with the horizontal type...not fun. I was about to post a question as to how much 5/16 or 8 mm chain the F32 chain locker will hold and Dale offers up that he's getting 270 feet of chain in there???? I would have NEVER guessed it would hold that much. Maybe he's modified the locker or something. Anyway, I like the Maxwell RC10 so much I'm going to be considering modifying the chain locker or even the aft bulkhead to make it work. It's too bad there is very minimal area the way the boat is set up know with the jib stay and gun mount pulpit up there. They thought of nearly everything in the design of the F32 but a proper chain/windlass setup wasn't one of them.
Freedom 32 - Hull #15 - "BAMBOLEO" - Southern California, USA
Morgan 41 CC "Classic" - 10 year live-aboard
Rawson 30 - "La Cabriole" - Circumnavigator -- but not by me... :(

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I posted some pictures of my windlass installation on my Hoyt 32 a long time ago on the old Yahoo site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreedomOw ... 20&dir=asc

It's a Muir brand, from memory a 600 watt motor and that would be about a minimum. It lifts all the gear okay but it doesn't seem to have much lifting power in reserve.

The all-chain rode feeds down the PVC pipe pretty well but I can't use a rope rode, it won't feed down it at all. I use 1/4" G4 high tensile chain and have 150' of it. The forepeak holds that much okay but if I let it all out I need to knock the pile over and spread it out as it comes back aboard or it just piles up in a volcano-shaped pile and stops. I normally anchor in such shallow water that, for me, this isn't an issue very often. Since the pictures, I've painted the pipe brown and it isn't as noticeable.

I've also since switched from a 35# CQR to a 35# Manson Supreme. I love the Manson, it sets far more easily than the CQR, and I wish I had switched before installing the windlass. The Manson has a significantly shorter shank than the CQR and I could have mounted the windlass maybe 4" or 5" farther forward. That would have at least made the PVC a steeper angle, or perhaps eliminated it entirely.

What a great addition a windlass is to any boat; I sure love pressing a button and having the anchor come up!

Rick
Tallahassee

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi guys, the Simpson and Lawrence was a verticle windlass as is the new Maxwell RC8. My F32 had the windlass fitted when i brought the boat. The anchor locker has been neatly modified. My chain also like Ricks piles up and has to be knocked down this hasnt been a problem as i had a hawse pipe with a lid which enabled me to simply reach down and knock the pile to one side. Unfortunately i know longer have that luxury as the new Maxwell has a enclosed hawse pipe. Ive decided to reduce my chain from 90m (270ft) to 60m (180ft) which should then comfotably fit into looker, i have 150 ft of nylon rode that can be added for those not to frequent times i anchor in over 60 ft. Im in the marina presently fitting new winlass I'll snap some pictures in next couple of days of locker and windlass and post them.The motor of the new windlass is a tight fit, being 1000w where the old one was 600w. I dont believe the rc10 is neccasary on a F32, i did the numbers and the RC8 is more than powerful enough keep in mind that the Simpson & Lawrence was significantly smaller and lasted 10 plus years. Freeform is a fully equipped cruising boat therefore probably carring more weight than most F32's and this extra weight was taken into consideration when calculating winlass size.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Forgot to add i also have a Mason Supreme and like Rick think its great. Ive lived at anchor almost full time three years ( I hesitate to say this as I do not want to tempt fate) we have never dragged. Im a big fan. I could never own a plow ( just my opinion) as ive seen to many sitting on their side not dug in.
Cheers Dale.

mtryon

Post by mtryon »

Fantastic news Dale...and you're reading my mind on that Manson Supreme. The shank is just a wee bit shorter than the plow I have now so that's a plus as far as cheating the windlass forward a bit. I have planned to leave my original chain pipe in place so I can reach a stick in there and knock over the pile of chain as the RC10/8 brings it aboard. I'm glad too that you think the RC8 has enough "tug" for the F32. It looks to be the same motor with a different gear ratio. So that will also save some bucks. I will be interested to see how you're clearing the jib and headstay up there too...
( I've got to get myself away from my old mentality of heavy cruising boats and heavier is better. Started with a Rawson 30, moved up to a Morgan 41...and have now come to my senses with the F32 which I'm loving more than the other two combined!) Thanks again and we'll all be looking forward to your photos.

mtryon

Post by mtryon »

Dale,
One more question I forgot to ask. You didn't mention whether your Manson Supreme is the 25 or 35? I was going to go 35 but there I go again...thinking heavy...maybe you're doing all this on the 25? That would be great if I could get away with a 25 as it's shank is really short and could move the windlass further forward yet... I just have no experience with Manson and I'm strictly going off of reviews and what I've read. The F32 is in the Manson 25 range, but then if I was living out there as you are...what's ten more pounds....right? Also, if I located the windlass for the Manson 25, I'd be pretty screwed if I found out I really needed the 35! :o

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi all, ive just got the new Maxwell in place and to my relief it just fits ( motor has approx 5mm clearance in one spot ) the 1000w motor is larger than the 600 or 700w on my last windlass. The hardest part of the job is compensating for the curve in the deck and the slight incline, i made a polyester bog base that compensates for deck curvature and enables the windlass to mount flat. I snapped a few pictures, keep in mind the job isnt finished, tommorow i fair and paint the base. The modified locker door has a sheet metal plate attached that the chain falls on and slides down to the bottom of locker ( not always ). The locker modification dosent effect sleeping room in v berth at all. Ive been asking around and chain piling and having to be knocked down is very common even on boats with large lockers. It suprises me how many wifes have to be down stairs at the chain locker while the husband pulls the anchor up, as i regularly single hand this is unacceptable for me. I accept with my smaller locker the chain piling issue but i need to be able to solve this quickly and from up on deck. Also carrying alot chain up front is alot of weight thus one of the reasons ive decided to reduce the amount i carry but keep in mind the F32 is designed to accomodate a extra 200 litres( 50 gallons? ) optional water tank right up front under the V berth which i assume most of us dont have. In regards to the Manson Supreme i have the 25 lb. I brought it with me from my last boat. I thought about going the next size up but it has never given me a reason to. It has been tested fully over the last 3-4 years specially through Indonesia when sometimes your anchoring on the sides of volcanoes!
Cheers Dale.
Attachments
windlass 2 (NXPowerLite).jpg
windlass 2 (NXPowerLite).jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 7954 times
windlass 4 (NXPowerLite).jpg
windlass 4 (NXPowerLite).jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 7954 times
windlass 1 (NXPowerLite).jpg
windlass 1 (NXPowerLite).jpg (106.74 KiB) Viewed 7954 times