F33 cutless bearings

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
AlanK

Re: F33 cutless bearings

Post by AlanK »

I have a US made F33. I changed my cutlass bearing a few years ago. I also have a PSS shaft seal.
The cutlass bearing had worked its way inside an inch or so into the boat/tube.
There were set screws on each side but covered with bedding compound and bottom paint so it took me a while to find them. Just poking until I hit a soft spot (but maybe yours are covered with harder stuff. They were dead center to the shaft on each. One was actually missing.
I was able to remove the the old bearing by using a very long bolt (or may have just been threaded rod) inserting through the old bearing catching the edge and then used a wrench to slowing tighten and pull it out. (other then detaching the coupling on the shaft that was the hardest part).
I put a new bearing in and new set screws be careful not to tighten too hard or they compress/warp the cutless bearing.
The next season I noticed the bearing had moved slightly in . I was able to move it back to position but this time a left about an 1/8" sticking out and put a bit on 5200 on on outside edge to the hull (just a thin bead and didn't push it in so it can be easily cut to remove.
Haven't had a problem since.
I also bought a service kit for my PSS and replaced all the provided parts. The new one came with the vent. After discussion with PSS I decided it wasn't worth installing as I had never had issues with losing and it was always cool. I always there is water in it upon launch and after particularly rough passages. I drain it on hauling to prevent freezing over the winter.
Alan

bad

Post by bad »

Heya Barry - my understanding regarding cutless or cutlass bearings is the same as others - need water for lubrication to make them work properly. Thus a double bearing doesn't sound like a good setup. It could also affect how much water your dripless packing gland gets if you have two bearings. Since the F33 doesn't have a strut like a fin keeled boat, scoops may be an added way to get water into the bearing.

I like the idea of a small lip extending out from the hull and fixing it with 5200 to help hold the bearing. Set screws can be tapped into the fiberglass - probably want to get them into the shell of the bearing, too.

Good luck and hope you are in the water soon!

Erik

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I have one cutless bearing right by the prop. (I believe this is as it should be)

I also have a cutless bearing about a foot farther forward, in the middle of my ~3foot shaft log.

The best explanation I've heard for this second bearing is that it somehow got shoved in when the other one was replaced, before I owned Flutterby.

If anybody knows why the boat should have two cutless bearings, or why one would be positioned there, please advise me.
s/v Flutterby, Freedom 33 cat ketch, now junk rigged

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

F33s have no strut. Just the tube thru the hull where the shaft exits into the prop aperture. This is due to the fact that the original centerboard version of the F33 had a long shallow keel. Fin keels were then bolted to the bottom of this keel stub. Pretty strong arrangement even if a kluge.

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I had the prop shaft looked at by both the boatyard manager here, and some folks in a prop/machining shop.

The measurement was .011~.012" of wear on the shaft at the bearing. (1.000" nominal shaft).

Everybody told me that I should just put it back and call it good enough--the only solution would be to replace the shaft itself, and it just isn't bad enough to justify the expense.

Now the only hard part is seeing if I can get the extra bearing out or not. It sure isn't loose in there. I tried to get it out with a threaded rod and some nuts, but the fit wasn't close enough, and it just smashed up the end of the bearing instead of pulling on it. I will probably try with a few washers turned down to the exact size of the shaft log.

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

One more update. I now have everything out of my shaft log.

The "normal" cutless bearing was a 4" model, and only slightly worn, no surprise since I had had it replaced not too long ago.

The "extra" bearing was probably the remnants of an old one, however it just had the brass/bronze/copper tube left; there was none of the plastic ribbed bearing surface still on it. I'm guessing it just wore completely away somehow.

Now all I need to do is the absolute minimum of cleanup on the coupling so I can get it back onto the shaft when I put everything back together. Well, that and re-align the engine and cross my fingers that my engine bed modification will fix my vibration problems.