Autpilot linear drive F36

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Messing About

Autpilot linear drive F36

Post by Messing About »

This has been a busy spring with lots of projects. The final "to-do" is installing the Raymarine X-10 autopilot with linear drive. I have spent a fair amount of time below trying to determine the best way to install it. I am wondering if anybody with a F36 has had experience installing one of these units. It would be great if someone was able to share pictures as well.
1988 F36/38
s/v Soltura

brico

Re: Autpilot linear drive F36

Post by brico »

I will try to take few photos of my arrangement this weekend. Mine is fitted at the Starboard upper corner of the transom. As the transon is sloping down and outward, they have glassed in a piece of wood or something to make it vertical and the linear drive is attached to it with the extension spindle leading to the steering quadrant. I can access ist easily through the cut out port on the after bulkhead. Believe this is cut out originally.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Messing About

Post by Messing About »

That sounds great brico, I look forwrd to seeing the pictures ......thanks very much!
1988 F36/38
s/v Soltura

JimD

Post by JimD »

Check with Paul Dennis. When I installed mine he had brackets for the drive and a fitting to connect the drive to the steering quadrant. If you want pictures email me.

Jim Demerest
Lady of Remes
F36/38

Messing About

Post by Messing About »

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the information. I have started to fabricate some of the components today already, however I would really like to see what your arrangement looks like....could use some inspiration. At this point my concept involves using the vertical metal stop posts that are used to limit turning motion as the mount for the bracket that will support the drive. These are already in place and quite robust as they are bolted to the fiberglass gussets that support the main rudder post housing / bearing area where it enters the boat.

I am still trying to come up with an arm that can attach to the top of the rudder post itsef to be used as the "lever" that will attach to the drives rod-clevis for doing the actual turning. I am told that attaching the drive directly to the Edson steering quadrant is not advised, otherwise I would just do that instead of going to all of this effort!
1988 F36/38
s/v Soltura

JimD

Post by JimD »

I'm taking off sailing for several days. When I get back I'll get some pictures together. I connected the liner drive arm to the quadrent with a milled down rudder stop (above the existing stop) that I got from Paul Dennis. I've never had any problem with it.

Jim Demerest
Lady of Remes
F36/38

brico

Post by brico »

Hi, I just came back from my boat. I've taken some photos and put them on Photobucket for you to view on what my autopilot linear drive arrangement looks like. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/petarlolic/

Petar
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Messing About

Post by Messing About »

Those are great photo's and very helpful, thank so much for the effort!

I have already fabricated a lever that will mount to the rudder post and I will post pictures when it is in place. I had thought about using the two verticle aluminium posts that are used as stops to mount a long bracket from. I will weigh both options now that I have seen what approach was taken with your boat. Looks like a nice clean job by the way.

Thanks again.
1988 F36/38
s/v Soltura