PH 39 Fuel Tank Pickup Tube

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Tom

PH 39 Fuel Tank Pickup Tube

Post by Tom »

Does anyone know if the fuel tanks used in the PH 39 Schooner have screw in pickup tubes or are they welded to the tank? Also, does the end of the tube have a screen on it?

Thanks,
Tom PH 39 #15

ketch22

Re: PH 39 Fuel Tank Pickup Tube

Post by ketch22 »

Hello Tom,

I'm not sure about the PH 39, but the F39 Express did have a screen in the pick up tube.

I know this because over time the screen became slightly clogged with diesel residue. The engine ran fine at the dock while not under load. When I increased the load, the clogged screen would eventually starve the engine and it would die . I became very proficient at bleeding the damn thing to get it restarted. The screen couldn't be seen from the bottom end of the tube. I had to poke a long stiff wire into the tube to get the screen out.

The fuel pick up tube itself was aluminum. It was welded to a fitting and the fitting screwed into the tank.

Tom
Ketch 22

OldRover

Re: PH 39 Fuel Tank Pickup Tube

Post by OldRover »

I just recently pulled my tanks. Welded in with a female fitting to accept the 90 and valve, no screens. But I'm not sure what was used at the production facility. AFP built the tanks and RDS (AFP is now RDS) has drawings that did not match my tanks. So I think that I am not exactly representative. Most AFP tanks I have seen did use screens
'82 F39 ph

hglad

Pulling/replacing/ port fuel tank on the F 39PH

Post by hglad »

This response is a bit off topic but would like some info from Old Rover or any one else who has had experience with pulling/replacing the port side fuel tank on the Freedom 39 PH. It looks like a daunting task, but there is no doubt it needs to be done.
Does the engine have to be pulled? It looks as if the aft portion of the tank extends under the aft cabin bulkhead. Can it be pulled forward once the stringers holding the tank have been removed? Do you think it is possible to cut the tank into pieces with a die grinder to take it out in chunks?
I really don't need the total fuel capacity of this tank and have thought of replacing it with a day tank so the fuel could be filtered twice.
Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Hglad