stuffing box

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Tricia

Re: stuffing box

Post by Tricia »

I think Warren River worked with Tides Marine and the factory made the adjustments. You can phone Paul Dennis for details: 401-245-6949. I'll try to post pics here.

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Pics posted under documentation & photos heading.

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

The Norscot seal in my F-30 appears to fit where the old Syntron seal was without modification. Costs about $380.

Take a look as an alternative.

http://www.norscotshaftseal.com/
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

If you have enough shaft you can also add a spare seal that sits there and can replace the working seal in the water if need be. Just need to purchase the spare seal carrier option. ( Tides seal ). The PSS seal i had was the non breather model.
Cheers Dale.
Freeform.

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

I spoke to Paul Dennis at Warren River and he explained that the customized seal that Tides Marine makes has to be changed completely whenever it fails (you can't just change the lip seal), but he has been installing these seals for 8 years and so far none failed! These seals are made for the Freedom 30, 32, 36 and 38 since these boats have very little room between the fiberglass tube and the motor. Also due to the design of these boats you MUST use a dripless seal. There are very limited choices: replace the seal with the original Syntron mechanical seal ($900), the Norscot seal that uses Dextron fluid to lubricate the seals ($400) or the customized Tides Marine ($275). Warren River Boatworks, who specializes in Freedoms, uses exclusively the Tides Marine seal. By the way, the PSS is too big for these boats and the factory could not customize one to fit the short space. As you probably can guess, I ordered a customized Tides marine seal. I'll let you know in the Spring how it all played out!
Thanks to everyone for their help, this forum has been absolutely fantastic.
JSchneider
1987 Freedom 30

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

Well folks, it is now almost summer and I am still not in the water. I just needed to change the shaft seal...well, as I stated before, in order to remove the shaft, the yard mechanics had to cut the shaft. Now, in order to remove the shaft, they had to remove the cutless bearing from the strut. In doing so, the strut broke due to electrolosys. Warren River Boatworks is casting a new strut which will not be ready for at least 3-4 weeks! As soon as this mess is over, I'll report on its outcome.

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

Finally, Weeble is now at its mooring ready for another season. The final bill was a bit over 3k, but with a new shaft, coupling, strut, cutless bearing and shaft seal what do you expect? Everything seems to be in order, but I still get a few drops of water after about one hour of motoring. Is this expected from the Tides Marine seal?
I am also still getting some raw water in the pan under the engine that I could not find the origin yet. I suspect that the water pump may be leaking through the weep holes (time to change the pump?). I tried to put picture of new seal but file was too large.
Thanks again to everyone for their help.

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

I just wanted to give an update to my shaft seal project. Now that the season is winding down, I am glad to report that the Tides Marine seal worked perfectly all summer...I even stopped checking it every single time that I use the boat! If anyone has any questions about any part of the project please let me know, I am glad to help.

Jorge
Weeble, 1987 F39
Huntington, NY

SVBAGATELLE

Post by SVBAGATELLE »

I have replaced my Syntron seal twice on my F30 (and the prop shaft once), and it is leaking again. I have spoken to Paul Dennis about the Tides Marine seal and he thinks it should be installed on a new shaft, with a new coupling and having the engine realigned. Unfortunately I am in the Bahamas where everything is very expensive and skilled labor is scarce. So I have decided to nurse my Syntron along for another season until I can get a refit in the US. Paul suggested the alternative of installing grease nipples and injecting grease into the seal. I know that some of you have gone the other way--removing the grease that other owners put in. Was overheating the problem, and if so, how serious? Otherwise it seems to be the best way of keeping water out of the sump, which others have noted, does not drain directly to the bilge.
Paul
F30 #58 "Bagatelle"