missing cutlass bearing?

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
wcwcwc

missing cutlass bearing?

Post by wcwcwc »

The drive train on my F36 started vibrating and making noise.

Upon immediate haul out I found the cutlass bearing missing. The whole thing was gone, the rubber inside and the bronze shell was just not there. I am assuming that the rubber wore out (eventhough I tried to move the shaft by hand this spring and found little play) and then the shaft wore through the bronze and the whole thing just disappeared.

Anyone had this happen? Suggestions on the fix procedure? Is there also a bearing in the shaft tube comming out of the hull?
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Castaway

Re: missing cutlass bearing?

Post by Castaway »

Could it have slid up inside the shaft tube? Seems strange that both parts could have completely disintegrated and fallen off the shaft. The old cutless bearing on my F35 got rather worn before being replaced, but showed no sign of cracking or becoming loose. Quite a puzzle.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Do you have any pictures?
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

JimD

Post by JimD »

Years ago I had the same problem. It was just after we had gone through the fishing fleet in the mouth of the Magothy River. Same symptoms started to vibrate. Went over the side and the rubber in the cutlass bearing was gone. Best theory at the time was that we had picked up some momo filament and it had cut out the bearing.

Jim Demerest
Lady of Remes
F36/38