Anchor rode replacement

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rvivian

Anchor rode replacement

Post by rvivian »

I think it may be time to replace my 25 - year old anchor rode. It looks OK but how long does a nylon three-strand rope last and how much strength does it lose over time.

How often do you replace your anchor line?

What kind of line do you use? Three Strand, Braid, 8-plait?

How often do you remake the rope to chain splice?

How often do you end-for-end the line?

Thanks
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

jschneider

Re: Anchor rode replacement

Post by jschneider »

If the line is stiff and does not store well, it is time to change it (i am talking about three strand nylon). I don't anchor very often and my line although pretty old is still quite soft. Look for chafe, especially around the thimble and shackle. Perhaps just as important is the length and condition of the chain. Too many people do not have enough chain.
Jorge
Weeble F30
Huntington, NY

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

I don't claim to know much about rope, and my primary anchor system uses all chain. That being said, I do carry a secondary rope and chain rode which I use for stern anchoring and for added security in areas of poor holding or questionable anchoring siuations, storm conditions etc. For this I use three strand, and have rodes of both nylon and dacron. As far as changing or replacing I just go by the observable condition of the line, the splices, thimbles , shckles etc. As long as the rope is still supple ,with out any obnservable signs of chafe, or damage, I will use it. If the shackles or thimbles are rusted or worn I will replace them, if the chain to rope splice looks worn aor damaged then re-splice it. That brings up a benefit of three strand in that, old, or used three strand can still be spliced so you can cut cut off the damaged end and re-splice on a new thimble or splice to chain. Once braided line is used it is difficult if not near impossible to splice it .
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

folotp

Post by folotp »

According to Practical-Sailor's December 2007, "Used Nylon Three-Strand Rope Faces The Ultimate Endurance Test", a 10 to 12 year old three-strand nylon rope has only between 25% and 50% of its original breaking strength rating!
Our test shows that even when you eliminate the effects of chafe, up to 75-percent of the original tensile strength in our sample ropes was lost.
Also,
It’s also interesting to note that wet nylon decreases in strength by as much as 15 percent...
and lastly
...one should expect a 10-percent drop in line strength due to a splice and a 30-percent drop if a bowline is used in lieu of a splice.
That doesn't leave very much of the original rated strength!

Their conclusion:
Check your boat’s nylon lines before the next storm season, and even if they look OK, consider our test results and decide how secure your boat will be with 25- to 50-percent of your line’s original breaking strength remaining. Remember that we tested dry nylon lines and that wet nylon loses even more strength. These lab findings reminded us that a new set of dock lines is cheap insurance, and money well spent.
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks

That pretty much goes along the way I was thinking. The old rope must be pretty weak by now. Looks like 200' - 300' of new 5/8" nylon anchor line to splice on to my 150' of 5/16" HT chain is in my near term future.

But what kind of nylon line? Three strand is easily spliced but lowest initial strength. Braid has strongest strength but is a pain to splice. I understand 8-Plait or 12-plaiot is used a lot in other countries but I have not seen it used here.

Anyone know what's best?
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA